Author Topic: BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9: Marrianne Faithful  (Read 14764 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: BBC WDYTYA Series 10 Episode #9 Marrianne Faithful
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 September 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed the programme, particularly the history aspect.  I had no idea that the Russians had liberated Austria and then raped all the women. I had to laugh when she said something about being 50 and finding herself (or words to that effect).  I guess she meant that she was 50 when that happened rather than she was 50 now.  Being born in 1946, she is now 67.

Roopat - I don't know if she's had work done, but being fuller in the face  ;D means the lines don't show up so much.  I thought she looked her age.

Bizarrely, my son and daughter in law have just been clearing out her sister's house (she died suddenly aged 51) and they've found loads of paperwork in German and a postcard, supposedly sent by Hitler in 1934.  They have no idea why her sister would have had all that.  As far as they know there are no German ancestors and her sister couldn't speak or read German.

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 September 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed the programme, particularly the history aspect.  I had no idea that the Russians had liberated Austria and then raped all the women. I had to laugh when she said something about being 50 and finding herself (or words to that effect).  I guess she meant that she was 50 when that happened rather than she was 50 now.  Being born in 1946, she is now 67.

Could this have been a result of the liberation?
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 September 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Bizarrely, my son and daughter in law have just been clearing out her sister's house (she died suddenly aged 51) and they've found loads of paperwork in German and a postcard, supposedly sent by Hitler in 1934.  They have no idea why her sister would have had all that.  As far as they know there are no German ancestors and her sister couldn't speak or read German.

How intriguing!  :)

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 September 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
I know an old lady not far from here who had a German pen friend between the wars. The daughter of a German Aristocrat. When she went to stay with her pen friend, in the 30s, Adolf was a house guest. She related to me what a charming gentleman he was, it was quite a shock for her when she found out about the atrocities etc.

Back to WDYTYA, for my money it was an interesting look at between the wars European social history. As the programme is supposed to be aimed at a Genealogical audience, at least I presume so, for me it well and truly missed the mark. A shame as it is a programme I look forward to.
 :(
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 September 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
Not one of the best to be honest and rather indulgent of Marianne Faithfull I thought - used to fancy her like mad at one time and I have to say, she's still looking good!
Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 September 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
I know an old lady not far from here who had a German pen friend between the wars. The daughter of a German Aristocrat. When she went to stay with her pen friend, in the 30s, Adolf was a house guest. She related to me what a charming gentleman he was, it was quite a shock for her when she found out about the atrocities etc.

Thanks for that, I'll suggest perhaps it was a penpal either of my sister in law's sister, or an ancestor.

Lizzie.

ps.  Better get back on topic. ;D

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 September 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
[
Thanks for that, I'll suggest perhaps it was a penpal either of my sister in law's sister, or an ancestor.

Lizzie.

ps.  Better get back on topic. ;D
[/quote]
What topic?
:-D
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 September 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Not particularly enjoying this series.

What has struck me, and maybe it's just me, but could she not have found out all about her mother's  and grandmother's background just by talking to her mother. 

Call me cynical but it just seems like a good excuse for free travel at the license payers expense. I have had the same thoughts about others covered in this series, if you are only going back one generation how difficult can it be.
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline bearsome

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 September 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
I didn't think to ask my mother-in-law and her mother about their family history while they were alive, and only got into family history at all, because M-i-L had started. And it was only because she had, that I thought to ask my own mother about my ancestors, before it was too late.  She still keeps coming up with things she remembers! Was MF ever in a situation when she could ask her mother much about her background? She did mention that she knew that her mother and grandmother were both raped by Russian soldiers, so she obviously knew something about her mother's life during the war, but I can't remember if she said how old she was when she and her mother talked about it. That, of course, is the odd thing about many of the episodes, of whichever series, that few of the celebs seem to have talked much to their families about their ancestors, although some had made a start. It seems that, once the BBC has made the offer to look into their ancestors, it suddenly becomes really, really interesting to them!

Now, I realise, of course, that many of them are very busy people, and some of them, particularly in the earlier series, had made a start, but I do wonder if some of them really have a genuine interest in their ancestors. The Indian actor, Nitin, from whichever soap, obviously found his whole family history fascinating, and very much wanted to pass the story onto his young sons. Some, though, have been seriously underwhelmed, and that has applied to a number over all the series. Just looking at a load of papers can't help. I still wasn't sure, at the end of MF's episode, whether she'd learned much that she didn't know, or suspected, already.