Author Topic: A Seattle Mystery  (Read 2881 times)

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Seattle Mystery
« on: Friday 20 September 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to find more references to Dolores Grace Grisdale (often called Grace) who was born in 1895 in Bay City Michigan but after the divorce of her parents no doubt went to live with relatives (as did her siblings). However, I can’t find her in either in the 1900 or the 1910 census. In 1911 she was living with her grand uncle James in Kitsap/Seattle as you will see from this story:

http://grisdalefamily.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/grace-grisdale/

Next I’m trying to find her after about 1920. On 7th Sept 1920 she married Richard Edward Cantwell in Tacoma, Washington. I believe he was an epileptic from Charleston S. C., where he died in hospital in 1941. The problems start because in the 1920 census we find a married Grace Cantwell in Tacoma of about the right age, a hotel servant. Unlike the others on the census all that is given is that she and her parents were born in the United States!? But I believe that the census was taken before her marriage in September 1920, so is it her?

Then we find in city directories for Tacoma in 1920 a Mrs Grace Cantwell (a nurse) living in the same house as Jos(eph) R Cantwell (Grace) (US Army). In the 1921 Tacoma directory we find Jos R Cantwell a cook with a wife Dolores G! Is this all a coincidence? The only Joseph R Cantwell I could find who matches at all in one born in Illinois in 1895 (Joseph Raymond Cantwell) who joined the army in 1917 and supposedly died in France in 1918? I can’t figure it out.

Then there is a directory entry for a Dolores G Cantwell in San Diego in 1928, but that might not be her although she was a ‘waiter’ which might fit with ‘servant in a hotel’.

What became of Grace and where was she in 1900 and 1910? Can anybody help?

Stephen

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Seattle Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 September 13 12:10 BST (UK) »
Could this be her in 1910, "Gridale"?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MLTP-YRL
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 September 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
Yes it is
Us 1910 Grace Gridle age 15 St Vincent's Orphan Asylum Michigan Detroit Wayne
Ciderdrinker

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 September 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
Could this be her in 1910, "Gridale"?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MLTP-YRL

Well it probably is because I know of no other Grace Grisdale born in 1895 anywhere let alone in Michigan. Thanks. The mystery deepens! So if this is her in an asylum she got discharged and went to live with her rich grand uncle James in Kitsap then eloped and suffered in a ship wreck ....

Stephen

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 September 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
Yes it is
Us 1910 Grace Gridle age 15 St Vincent's Orphan Asylum Michigan Detroit Wayne
Ciderdrinker

Is an Ophan Asylum just an Orphanage or really an Asylum?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 September 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's really an orphanage opened in 1851  by the Daughters  of Charity.It closed in 1948.
Ciderdrinker

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 September 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Anything after 1920? As perhaps Dolores Grace Cantwell?

S

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
I haven't found anything for Grace yet, but there is a grave for a Joseph R. Cantwell, Texas, died March 1, 1933, Leavenworth National Cemetery:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0w7g/
He apparently was in the US Army:
http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/index.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:47 BST (UK) »
1920 District 0286, Tacoma Ward 3 Census, image 6 of 20
1306 1/2 Pacific
Joseph Cardwell(?)*, Lodger, age 33, S changed to M (married), born Kansas, as were parents, Laborer, "General"(?), able to read and write
*Could be Cantwell, or even something else

1920 District 0286, Tacoma Ward 3 Census, image 8 of 20
1306 1/2 Pacific
Grace Cantwell, age 23, married, born United States as were parents, Servant, Hotel(?), could read and write
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)