Author Topic: HISTORY lesson from NSW La Perouse arrived shortly after Captain Cook  (Read 2406 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
HISTORY lesson from NSW La Perouse arrived shortly after Captain Cook
« on: Tuesday 24 September 13 05:54 BST (UK) »
I have a NSW Govt publication at hand.   It was received here YESTERDAY.   It is to do with National Parks in NSW.  It was published in August 2013....  so it is very much HOT off the Press.

In it I am informed :

(page 58 of 122)
Sydney and Surrounds

La Perouse Museum
"The museum tells the story of Jean Francois de Galaup, comte de La Perouse, who arrived at Port Botany very soon after Captain Cook".   

And here I am 7 decades of NSW living, (having been born and bred here too) .... and all along I thought it was Captain PHILLIP who got to Botany Bay shortly before La Perouse.    ::)  whereas Cook was there in April 1770 and PHILLIP and La PEROUSE were there in Jan and Feb 1788....  ::)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HISTORY lesson from NSW La Perouse arrived shortly after Captain Cook
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
Just goes to prove:

Never believe ANYTHING the Government tells you! ;D ;D
ANY Government! ;D ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 09:46 BST (UK) »
LOL :)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
Wow, I normally believe anything the government tell me ::) But..... (according to Wiki and my history......The comte de La Perouse "arriving off Botany Bay on 24 January 1788" Capt Phillip having been there several days and was at the time in the process of setting up camp at Sydney Cove, did not get to meet Jean Francois de Galaup and he sailed on to oblivion, which is not a good port. 8) Not exactly shortly after COOK. ???

He gave his Journals to one of Phillips men which were returned via the SIRIUS to England and then France.

Neil ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hmmm 18 years may be a 'short time'  LOL  :o 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, and if 18 years is a short time, then that perhaps could be the excuse for overlooking any mention of the ummmmm..... First Fleet ....... arrival just days ahead of La Perouse.   I think the arrival of the First Fleet is significant, afterall, if not for them, ummmm surely it would be Parlez-vous français? instead of Youse talken Strine?

Cheers,  JM