Author Topic: WW 2 Photo - Unknown Location  (Read 14838 times)

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
Re: WW 2 Photo - Unknown Location
« Reply #90 on: Friday 27 September 13 20:39 BST (UK) »
What a great web site Frank lots of good stuff.but that pic/pics of T/Ts could have been taken in any large city in the uk,to bad nothing is written on the backs.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 27 September 13 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, just nearly collapsed  ;D I thought I had it  ::)
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw036452?search=hackney&ref=47
Don't know if the link will work.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 27 September 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi frank those 3 images on the left in the top one ,slap dad in the middle is a church steeple and close by a tall chimney,could be the right area also st lukes hospital is in that area?

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 27 September 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Yeah, have you zoomed in on the picture? ...........
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline bugle boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 27 September 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
hi frank Im sorry to say im more or less computer illiterate  ;D  and although Ive got all my fingers I can only type out my messages using one finger,When I told another person I only typed with one finger,they answered back that they were sorry I only had one finger, ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 27 September 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
hi frank Im sorry to say im more or less computer illiterate  ;D  and although Ive got all my fingers I can only type out my messages using one finger,When I told another person I only typed with one finger,they answered back that they were sorry I only had one finger, ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
No worries.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 27 September 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
If it's any help, I think the photo was taken around midday looking due east down the street - the shadows of the buildings are on the right hand side of the road at a right angle to the road, so that side is to the south, and very short.

Michael.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 27 September 13 23:54 BST (UK) »
Wow- very scientific :o :o

And...the majority of churches are built east/west....(Usually but there are exceptions but let's hope this is not one of them) 

The west usually being the elaborate main door - and the east being where the pulpit and altar is.

There doesn't appear to be a rule as to where the spire goes.

So - if the road is going west to east... then we are looking for a church that sort of runs parallel to it also going west/east... (in theory!)

If that is the case then that other little tower probably isn't at the other end of the church from the steeple.?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 28 September 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Could very well be a park Gaffy - lots of them as well as churches in London. ;)

Yes, but in London if you assume a spire top left and park in the background, that narrows the field???

Possibly. Depends if it is a park, an estate of some sort or something else. I think difficult to judge the distances and relationships of the objects on the background, or even identify what many of them are due to not being in focus and maybe due to depth of field and perspective distortion where it is is difficult to determine the relative distances between objects when they are so far away. Bit like viewing a scene through binoculars - it gets distorted.