Author Topic: WW 2 Photo - Unknown Location  (Read 14862 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: WW 2 Photo - Unknown Location
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 28 September 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, on the link in reply #91 there is a church spire / steeple and also a wooded area, only a possibility tho', and probably not the answer, it could be a park tho'.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 28 September 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
Is this the church? I found this photo of Highgate Hill church on: http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/london.html

Michael.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 28 September 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, they are very similar but I think they differ at the base of the spire, That's a good find by the way,
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 28 September 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, they are very similar but I think they differ at the base of the spire, That's a good find by the way,
Frank.
Agreed. It's very close, but the roof just above the single window in the tower, at the bottom of the spire seems to protrude more in the mystery photo than in this one. Shame - it is almost right ..

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 28 September 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
Here's the comparison - Highgate on the right...Agree it doesn't appear to have the protruding bit

Very close though!!

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 28 September 13 15:12 BST (UK) »
That church has been converted into flats and no longer has a steeple... but it does have a new protruding roof bit.  I wonder when the postcard photo was taken - and if it is possible that the church did any work on the steeple between then and 1953?

http://hampsteadheath.net/presbyterian.html

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Saturday 28 September 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the shadow cast by the sun on the mystery photo could be exagerating the protruding bit at the spire base  ???
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 28 September 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
If you go to the Hampstead Heath link in Milly's post (reply 104) the photo of the church at the bottom of the page shows an overhang & shadow very clearly.

I haven't tried to copy or take a snip of that photo as that site appears to have a very strong copyright message covering their content.

Michael.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 28 September 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
After a much closer look comparing the windows in the spires and their vertical distance above & below the overhang, I now feel the Highgate Hill church is not the one in the Coronation celebration photo.

Also, the tower/spire below the overhang is still octagonal in the Highbury church, whereas as far as I can see the one in the original photo appears to be square.

Michael.