Author Topic: John Cuffin-Pennsylvania  (Read 3488 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Cuffin-Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Brother Thomas Cuffin born 1885,  Cefnnawt, Wales, single, model maker, appeared on Philadelphia Passenger List Liverpool to Philadelphia on the Dominion 3 November 1914.
Going to brother John Cuffin, 5417 Spring Street West. Philadelphia.
Brother Sam Cuffin, Manchester House, King Street, Cefnnawr. Wales.

Sandra 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sandra,so it appears that Phoebe Ann Jones was also likely to have been born in the same area as John,that is useful.Yes I have found local info in Denbighshire for brother Samuel.As far as brother Thomas is concerned,this is also useful info.Though I have to say as yet I have not searched for info for Thomas as I work through all siblings of the family and their descendants to the present day.Some of Samuel's descendants have led me a merry dance!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 September 13 14:02 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome William.  Good luck with Phoebe Ann Jones. Give a shout if you need more.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 September 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra,your always a great help.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 02:57 BST (UK) »
If it helps you to place Ethel, her husband, and her mother: They lived about 150 miles northwest of Philadelphia in a rural part of north central Pennsylvania. Danville is one of several small towns on the Susquehanna River. A large and well-respected hospital, Geisinger Medical Center, is located there. Ethel's husband may have been associated with it after World War II.

I looked at Ethel and her husband in the 1940 census in New York City. They are enumerated at 720 West 170th Street in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan. The census says that Charles was doing a medical residency, probably at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, which is at West 168th St. and is affiliated with Columbia University's medical school.

Charles did well in medicine. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Medical Corps of the U.S. Army during WWII. Too bad he died relatively young.

In case you want to pursue Ethel any further: her daughter (also enumerated in 1940) may still be living.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:43 BST (UK) »

In case you want to pursue Ethel any further: her daughter (also enumerated in 1940) may still be living.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o

The obituary for Ethel in reply 3 gives the married names of all the daughters, the one named on the 1940 census and the other 3 can be found using whitepages, people search, spokeo  or sites like those, they are all listed.

http://www.whitepages.com/

Sandra

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to John and Sandra for your replies.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline vanwags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello to all from Pennsylvania USA.  John and Phoebe are my great grand parents.  Ethel my grandmother.  All of Ethel's 4 daughters and 1 son are still living.  I'd enjoy connecting with any Cuffin or Jones relatives.  I appreciate the information posted here thus far!  Very helpful.  Regards, Van Wagner

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 May 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Well VW,a very warm welcome to Rootschat to you from Cefn Mawr!When you make three posts I will be able to contact you with further details of the Cuffin family.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire