Author Topic: Has this name been corrected - second opinion  (Read 544 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Has this name been corrected - second opinion
« on: Thursday 26 September 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
The name shown below (1st pic)was clearly initially written as Miller and was the brides name (not the signature) on a parish record and the i was dotted. However, to me it looks like the i has been altered to an e giving the name Meller. The bride has signed her own name but it is a little inconclusive (2nd pic), the second letter looks the same as the 5th (ie an e) and is clearly not dotted, although neither have the loop of an e.

So Miller or Meller? A second opinion would be appreciated.

Simon

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has this name been corrected - second opinion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 September 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
First image looks like it was initially written as Miller. You can see that in the way that the letters are formed and how the capital M leads into the small i. It then looks as though someone has altered it and written an e over the top of the i.
In the second image the surname looks like Miller to me.

It could be an error on the part of whoever filled out the form. They thought the surname was Miller so wrote that, then had second thoughts thinking the surname sounded like Meller. Just a guess.

What date was the marriage? Did this certificate come from the local register office? Presumably if you have Ann's father's name and occupation from the marriage certificate you can try to locate the family in the census (depending on dates of course). What surname does Ann's father have on the certificate - Miller or Meller?

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 September 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
This is a parish record from 1823 Marylebone not a marriage certificate, so I have no further details of the brides family. My thought is that it would only have been changed if either the bride or groom pointed out that the bride's name was Meller not Miller as they were signing the register. I still think that the bride's signature is inconclusive as previously described.

I don't think I'll be able to confirm one way or another. The name Dows appears to be quite rare and I had been looking for the marriage of the parents of a child born a couple of years later. Meller was significant in this child's family but even if it was Ann Meller there is still nothing concrete to connect the two events.

Simon

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
Oh I see - shame about that. I'm not sure that either bride or groom would have checked to make sure their surname was correctly written on their marriage entry. So still possibly an error or misunderstanding of the surname by the curate. My vote is still that she wrote her name as Miller. :)