Author Topic: fostered/adopted native children  (Read 20905 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: fostered/adopted native children
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 05 October 13 02:08 BST (UK) »
The Richard Cheshire drinking at beechworth in 55 seems to be in situ there in 1866, still drinking and possibly living in Euroa and seems to be applying for relief/(or application) to the benevolent asylum there. 
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112909298
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112909226
No mention of any family .....
I've found the particulars of crime committed by the richard cheshire on the Morley - 1 crime in 1828 and can transcribe if needed
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 05 October 13 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
It would seem that Richard Cheshire who had problems with alcohol was most likely the one who died in the asylum. I don't think we need any more details of his crime thanks, pity he was a Tassie convict there would have been a lot more details.
I will contact someone at Beechworth who runs ghost tours at the old asylum and see if he has access to anything about Richard Cheshire. I know he keeps some records and is very interested in who his ghosts were.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline jayanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 05 October 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
Oh my.......so much info to digest............do we really think we have found Henry's father ! WOW.
as to his being the first white child born.....perhaps I could point out that the story was first white "man" born in Albury - and I have to admit that the thought had not struck me until just now - perhaps he might have been as the first white child was a 'girl' in 1842......now I am going to have to find the book on early settlers on Albury that I found that information in........argh....I cant begin to think where it might be but I definitely have to confirm this......so perhaps Henry was the first white 'man' in 1843.....gosh would'nt that be a great thing to prove !!

I am impressed with the description of Richard Chesshire.........where on earth did you find such info?
J

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 05 October 13 06:35 BST (UK) »
Well it looks as if the Henry Cheshire who was noted as being in Goulburn area in 1840 and also noted on Baptism Certificate 1844 with addition of HELIER name tag would have to be the only candidate. Perhaps Elizabeth and Henry found one another while working together. A father does not have to be present to be on a Baptism Cert but does have to be present on a Birth Registration.

So without first hand testimony Henry's the man.

Now you may need to find out where the aboriginality comes from? If indeed ::)

Neil ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 05 October 13 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
First white child.
In the Albury Library, a book by Arthur Andrews, History of Albury. Make that First Settlement of The Upper Murray.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article101156162

Still looking through those Beechworth records but can't find Richard Cheshire.

mum  mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 05 October 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
It would seem that Richard Cheshire who had problems with alcohol was most likely the one who died in the asylum. I don't think we need any more details of his crime thanks, pity he was a Tassie convict there would have been a lot more details
Why do you think Richard Morley way a tassie convict? His records all indicate he arrived in Nsw on the Morley in Dec 1829.

And just so I don't get confused - It is Richard Cheshire/Chesshire who looks like being the father of Henry ..... Getting his CoF in 1840 residing in Goulburn.
Correct?
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 05 October 13 10:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry, thought I typed,'wasn't a Tassie convict"
mum mum

Offline Jo Coleman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 29 September 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
I'm a descendent of Emma Kilminster and I too heard the story that George died of a broken heart. I was also told that Elizabeth was "messed with" but George loved her madly and took on the half aboriginal child. I know that when I have ever tried asking any of my Brownes of it , it is met with a stony wall of silence. I do believe Frank his grandson was asked to leave my great Uncles house for mentioning it

Offline Oysterskilpatrick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Friday 12 May 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
im James, Henry was my Grandfathers grandfather ( who was born in Granya ), my Uncle frank had the DNA tests done.
My grandfather spoke of the aboriginal heritage in the family but only to my father .. but it was plainly obvious looking and my father and his brothers.. I'm most likely going to get a DNA test soon and will keep you posted, I believe there is some more information with relatives