Author Topic: How to go about retrieving a birth certificate using the Civil Reg Index info?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to go about retrieving a birth certificate using the Civil Reg Index info?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 September 13 21:32 BST (UK) »
Wyoming Newspapers Online  - John Arthurs and Maude Watkins of Hanna were married on April 7th 1905 - The Rawlins Republican, No 28, April 8th 1905.
Also a marriage for a Cora Maude Watkins of Medicine Bow and Charles Coulter in Sept. 1896 - The Rawlins Republican, No 41, Sept 25th 1896.  -   http://www.wyonewspapers.org/

Noel
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline fbrg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How to go about retrieving a birth certificate using the Civil Reg Index info?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 September 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
Wyoming Newspapers Online  - John Arthurs and Maude Watkins of Hanna were married on April 7th 1905 - The Rawlins Republican, No 28, April 8th 1905.
Also a marriage for a Cora Maude Watkins of Medicine Bow and Charles Coulter in Sept. 1896 - The Rawlins Republican, No 41, Sept 25th 1896.  -   http://www.wyonewspapers.org/

Noel

That's excellent! Thank you very much.

I was looking over the Hanna Museum page more. On http://www.hannabasinmuseum.com/hanna-plots-1---50.html page they have a fact sheet for the Arthurs family, where they seem to think that Mike Arthurs was the father born January 1840 in Ireland, Jack Arthurs was his son, also born in Ireland and died in 1932, and that there were a whole bunch of other siblings, one of whom died in France in WWI. I wonder if they aren't getting confused with another family of Arthurs living in that area which I saw on Familysearch.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 September 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
The details on Hanna Basin site are interesting but not really facts- family group sheet lists him born in Ireland but WWI draft card says native born.

If Michael was the father and not the brother of John & Elizabeth then I might have come across the family- I discounted it since you did say Michael was an older brother.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fbrg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 September 13 22:24 BST (UK) »

If Michael was the father and not the brother of John & Elizabeth then I might have come across the family- I discounted it since you did say Michael was an older brother.

That's my understanding, right or wrong.

Offline fbrg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 September 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Found that family (link) on Familysearch. Besides the bunch of siblings which I have never heard of in my family, they are all Arthur, not Arthurs, and the John Arthur from that family is listed as born in England. They do have the correct birth years for their John and Elizabeth, though.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 September 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
It's not uncommon to find Arthur/Arthurs used for the same family in Ireland.

England makes sense since that's where they were in 1881- including Michael's mother Esther! Michael was iron ore miner which explains how he ended up as a miner in Wyoming. Two children born in Cleator- Mary J & James.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQS1-7WQ

Am off to track down their marriage.

Offline fbrg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 September 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
It's not uncommon to find Arthur/Arthurs used for the same family in Ireland.

England makes sense since that's where they were in 1881- including Michael's mother Esther! Michael was iron ore miner which explains how he ended up as a miner in Wyoming. Two children born in Cleator- Mary J & James.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQS1-7WQ

Am off to track down their marriage.

Thank you very much for your continuing help.
There are a few discrepancies between those families -- in the 1881 English Census Michael Arthurs is listed as being born in 1846 while in the 1900 U.S. Census the birth year is 1840. The wife Mary has and son James have smaller discrepancies of one year each. And the daughter Mary disappears between -- although I suppose that's not hard to account for. I wonder if it's the same family.

I found the draft card (link) for Peter Arthur(s) from the 1900 Census family. He signs it "Arthurs."

I certainly don't remember any English connection being mentioned on that side of the family, nor all those siblings.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 September 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
Ages can vary tremendously from one record to the next- the important matches are Michael Arthurs born Ireland with wife Mary and son James born England. Daughter Mary could have died in England or  come with the family to America- remember 1900 census says Michael & Mary had 12 children but only 6 living.

Offline katvidales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 August 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
fbrg- please contact me.  I have information regarding John Arthurs.