Author Topic: On This Day In October - Our Ancestral BMDs  (Read 18339 times)

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Topic: On This Day In October - Our Ancestral BMDs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
On 3 October

In 1824 three Giovannelli children were baptised at St James Church, Clerkenwell.  Edward had been born earlier in the year, on 30 August, so I guess parents Gregory and Mary (nee Kingham) took the opportunity to have his older siblings, Therese and Angelina, baptised at the same time.  Therese was aged 5 and Angelina was 4.  They were my great great uncle and aunts.  Although there were five other children I have never been able to find their baptisms.

In 1874 my great grandparents George Charles Elliott and Sophia Jane Hatch were married in West Ham, Essex.  While I have managed to find most of the relevant records for Sophia, who was born in Wedmore, Somerset, George has been more difficult.  In censuses his birth place is given as Ilminster, Somerset, but I eventually found him born in Southwark, London.  I have never found his death, which was between 1886, when their youngest child was born, and the 1891 census, when Sophia was a widow.

Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
On 3 October 
Joshua Hobson my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1733

Robert Harry Hobson my 2nd cousin twice removed (and 2 x g.g.nephew of Joshua Hobson above) was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Leeds, Yorkshire in 1858

Baxter Stanton my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Andrew’s Church, Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1802

Priscilla Denby my husband’s g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Radcliffe, Lancashire in 1830

James Benson my 1st cousin 3 times removed was drowned at sea in 1914, aged 25, his name is on the Tower Hill Memorial, London.  He was a Spare Hand in the Mercantile Marine Service on the Steam Trawler St Lawrence from Hull.  The ship was lost with all hands by enemy action.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 October 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
I missed yesterday's anniversary, which was my aunty Alice's birthday - 2nd October 1915. She was my mum's older half sister, born Alice Frost, daughter of James Frost and Amelia Alice Smith. She married Wilf Robson and had three sons. Alice died in Middlesbrough in 1993.

James Frost died in 1917 and Alice's mother Amelia subsequently married Thomas Smith, my mum's father. He was a hot-sawman in the Britannia Mill, Middlesbrough and was injured in a dreadful accident which resulted in him dying on October 3rd 1941. So sad for Amelia being widowed twice before she was fifty.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 October 13 08:50 BST (UK) »

A special birthday today............my dad is 90.  :)  Family lunchtime get-together with fish & chips followed by cake!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 October 13 10:05 BST (UK) »
A very happy birthday to your Dad, nanny jan.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 October 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
4 October 
Mary Postlethwaite my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Cuthbert’s Church, Aldingham, Lancashire in 1785

George Frederick Cockett my g.uncle died at 41 Hayden Street, Manchester in 1883.  He was nearly 5 and the cause of his death was Rubeola (Measles) and haemoptysis.

Mary Hardy my husband’s g.g.aunt died in 1827, she was 10 months old.  I haven’t got her death certificate, so don’t know the cause of her death.  Her parents had 5 children, 2 of whom died as babies and a third who died aged 5.  Their mother died two years after Mary’s death, whereupon their father re-married (but not for another 18 months) and then he and his 2nd wife had 5 more children, the first two dying aged 2 and 4 respectively.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 October 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
A very happy birthday to your Dad, nanny jan.

Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie; last surviving child of a family of 7 (he was the baby).  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 October 13 09:19 BST (UK) »
Born in 1906 in Battersea, my gt.aunt Annie Elizabeth Howard;  daughter of John and Ellen Mary Eliza (nee Viney). Annie married Arthur Frederick Chaplin on Christmas Day 1928 at St. Clement, Kensington.  They had 2 daughters. I remember her as an invalid (some form of arthritis I think), in her bed,  who loved watching show jumping on the television. We would visit her often and she loved having a manicure done by my mum. Annie died in 1965.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 October 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother, who was born Anna Maria Mohr, died on this day in 1927 in East Ham, London. She was born on 22 June 1850 in Wuerttemberg, Germany, one of 9 children. I have managed to make contact with a relative in Germany and know that some of the family came to England, at least one went to America and the rest remained in Germany. Anna was in London by 1871 and married my great grandfather, also from Wuerttemberg, in 1876. Family rumour has it that they met on the boat from Germany, but I haven't been able to prove this.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk