Author Topic: On This Day In October - Our Ancestral BMDs  (Read 18342 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
On This Day In October - Our Ancestral BMDs
« on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Gengen started these topics on 5th November 2012, so we've still got a month and 4 days to go

I reckon that I could fill up most of the calendar with the BMDs of my ancestors but it would be more fun if we all did it together, so come on - let's see if we can have at least one person's life celebrated for every day of the year.

Over to you.................

Just to start you off ...  these entries are already in the database**

1 Oct 1711   Marriage   ASHWELL, Thomas   ENG, BDF, Cardington    My 6 x great grandfather, married Sarah Cross   quest40
1 Oct 1711   Marriage   ASHWELL, Thomas   ENG, BDF, Cardington  My 6 x great grandfather, married Sarah Cross   quest40
1 Oct 1801   Baptism   BROOKER, Martha   ENG, BRK, Chievely  3rd Great Grand Aunt  Pejic   
1 Oct 1711   Marriage   CROSS, Sarah   ENG, BDF, Cardington    My 6 x great grandmother, married Thomas Ashwell   quest40
1 Oct 1842   Birth   CROWSLEY, Louisa   ENG, BDF, Kempston  Great grandmother  quest40

Access to the database is through
>> Reference Library - link at bottom of every RootsChat page (but not on mobiles)
>> Ancestral Anniversaries
>> Quick Search
>> In this month . . . . . . . :  Oct
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/otday/otd-quick-search.php?itmonth=10
or
On this Day in . . . . . . . : Oct
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/otday/otd-quick-search.php?month=10
and then click on October, too :)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Topic: On This Day In October - Our Ancestral BMDs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder that I expect to copy some pre-1900 dates from here to the Ancestral anniversaries database (except for people who have sent me a PM saying they do not want their entries copied.)  I will be cutting down on my activity this month and only copying 1 event per chatter per day - to be selected by me very subjectively based on what I deem to be most likely to be useful to future researchers. 
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
On 1st October – too many today, so I’ve just picked 3 interesting ones.

William Colett my g.g.uncle married Eliza Whale (nee Spencer) at the Parish Church, Halesworth, Suffolk in 1866.  When living in Hampshire she was previously married to a Mr Whale.  I don’t know how they managed to legally separate in those days, but certainly he too re-married and when Eliza married my g.g.uncle she stated she was a spinster giving her father his correct first name, but giving his surname as Whale!!  I can’t find a death for William, but on 24 July 1873, Eliza married yet again and this time she called herself a widow.

Sir Henry Colet my 13 x g.g.uncle died in London in 1805 oops should be 1505 and was buried at St Dunstan’s Church, Stepney.  He was knighted by King Henry the Seventh in 1485 following his involvement in the Battle of Bosworth Field and became Sir Henry Colet and was the Lord Mayor of London on two occasions, 1486 and 1495.  He was also the Merchant of the Staple of Calais and of Westminster.  I am told that on the north side of the chancel at St Dunstan’s Church is a large canopied tomb with the inscription "Here lyeth Sir Henry Colet Knight twice Mayor of London who died in the year of our Redemption 1505". 

Hannah Pemberton (nee Burrows) my 4 x g.grandmother was buried at St Oswald’s Church, Lower Peover, Cheshire in 1818.  Her age at the time was given as 80, but she was baptised in 1743, so either she was 5 years of age at her baptism, or the age given at the time of her death was wrong.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
2 birthdays today:

A 2nd cousin 1R, Albert Henry Parks, born in 1904 in Herne Bay, Kent;  son of Albert Henry and Annie (nee Castle).  He was their only child. He was baptised in December 1904 at St. John, Herne Bay. His father's Will in 1945 shows him as an upholsterer. No more confirmed sightings after that.

A gt.uncle, James Ottley Pain, born in 1893 in Plumstead, Kent;  son of James Ottley and Amelia Sophia (nee Rainer). James married Florence Mabel Avery on Christmas Day 1913 at St. John the Baptist, Hoxton;  his occupation shown as printer. I think they had 7 children and James died in 1963 and is buried in Chadwell Heath Cemetery, along with Florence who died in 1987.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Bob for starting this thread - I was away in cloud cuckoo land and forgot about September coming to an end. Blame the world of morris dancing, AGMs etc! ::)

Anyway, today I have three to mention.

Firstly, 1825, my 4 x great-aunt, Elizabeth Bland, married Peter Ovens in Bedale. Oh - how to resist the "bun in the oven" quip....Nope, sorry - failed! ;D

In 1859, Alexander Shaw, my 2 x great uncle, was born in Nairn, son of James Shaw and Margaret Smith and big brother to my great grandmother, Catherine Shaw.

1871 - my other Scottish great-grandmother, Jane Milne, was born in Cruden. She was the daughter of Joseph Milne and Margaret Daniel and she married Peter Raitt in 1895. Here they are celebrating their diamond anniversary in 1955.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
On 1 October

As given by Berlin Bob from the database, in 1711 my 6 x great grandfather Thomas Ashwell, married Sarah Cross at Cardington, Bedfordshire.

In 1842 my great grandmother Louisa Crowsley was born in Kempston, Bedfordshire.  She was the eldest child of William Crowsley and Catherine Ashwell.  Finding records about her has been challenging as the surname Crowsley has had lots of variations!  In the 1851 and 1861 censuses she was living with her aunt and uncle Mary and Thomas Peacock in Bedford and she married William Conquest at the Bunyan Meeting House there in 1864.

Later in life Louisa left her husband in 1908 (William died later that year) to travel to Montreal to join her son and daughter.  This must have been quite an undertaking for a woman alone aged 65!  There is a family story that her son and daughter were living together as man and wife, but obviously I have no idea if this was true.  On the 1911 Canada census they appear with Louisa as her son and daughter.  She returned briefly to England in 1912, I've no idea why, and then died in Montreal in 1927.  I would love to know the full story of all this, but of course I never will!
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
2 birthdays today:

A 2nd cousin, Florence Thackray, born in 1911 in Shoreditch, London;  daughter of Thomas Frederick and Elizabeth Nina (nee Hosler). Florence married Albert Last in Shoreditch in 1934, they had 3 children and Florence died in 1993.

A 1st cousin 1R, Matilda Elizabeth Pollard, born in 1894 in Clerkenwell, London;  daughter of Alfred Samuel and Maria Rachel (nee Barham). Matilda was baptised a few weeks later at St. Paul, Clerkenwel.l  She died in January 1898 and is buried in Manor Park Cemetery, Newham.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Can't miss this one:  ;)

Born on this day in 1452, King Richard III, the last Plantagenet King of England.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
On 2 October

Jonathan Benson my 4 x g.g.uncle married Betty Ottley at St Mary’s Parish Church, Ulverston, Lancashire in 1780

Elisabeth Middleton (nee Benson) my 4 x g.grandmother was born in Wigton, Cumberland in 1781.  She married aged 19 and had 12 children, 3 of whom died whilst still less than 5 years of age.  Despite having the same name, Benson, as Jonathan above, I’ve yet to find a direct link between the two families.  My Legacy relationship calculator tells me that Elisabeth is Jonathan’s great nephew’s wife’s grandmother!

Charles Dawson my husband’s 2 x g.grandfather was born in Pilkington, Lancashire in 1815

Frederick Pemberton Hobson my g.uncle was baptised at The Albert Memorial Church, Collyhurst in 1881.  He was my maternal grandmother’s brother and it was by finding his, and another siblings baptism that helped me to find my gran’s baptism.  I searched the parish records of the Albert Memorial Church for baptisms around the time she was born, and found despite the fact that she was female and called Mary Hannah, the parish clerk had written her name down as Seth!  No wonder I hadn’t been able to find her previously.  Seth was, of course, their father’s name.

Elizabeth (Betsy) Pemberton (nee Woodward) died at Blake Lees, Kingsley, Frodsham, Cheshire in 1869.  The cause of her death was cancer of the throat 9 months duration.  She was 56 years old.  She was a widow and left 11 children, the youngest was 15.  Amazingly for the time, all the 11 children lived to be adults, all but one marrying and having families of their own.  The one who didn’t marry died aged 23, from Rheumatic Fever and Inflammation of Kidneys for 2 days, 11 months before his mother’s death.