Author Topic: Margaret D Minty b 1849  (Read 4789 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret D Minty b 1849
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 October 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
Catsma, have you checked out the marriage (as per reply no.2)?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 October 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
"Margaret D Minty born 1849 in Tyrie the illegitimate daug of Mary Milne ( later Murison )"

Strange one this. In the 1861 census there is an entry, Margaret Minty, aged 12, born Tyrie c 1949, occupation servant, location Monkswell, head of household, James Murison, wife of head, Mary Murison. Oldest Murison child, Andrew Murison aged 8. If this Margaret is Mary's child, and this Mary is Mary Milne, then why is Margaret recorded as "servant" and not "daughter in law." If she is Mary's daughter, then what begs the question, is Ann Cheyne also an illegitimate daughter of Mary, as Ann is also listed as a servant.

Regards

Malky

A couple of possible scenarios:
- her occupation is "servant" but this has mistakenly been written in the 'relationship to head' column rather than the 'occupation' column.

- if there is another servant in the household perhaps there was an error made when filling in the forms and the word 'servant' was written for both of the girls. I think we've all seen ditto written where it should not have been.

- perhaps she performed the role of servant in the household of her mother and step father ....  :-\

Offline catsma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 October 13 10:28 BST (UK) »
Yes I have checked the marriage but not the right Margaret Minty

I have searched IGI but have not found any more Mintys born in Tyrie

I am not so surprised that Margaret is listed as a servant in the 1861 census because I have seen Illegitimate relatives listed as boarders or visitors before

Actually this branch of the family has thrown up a lot of interesting questions but I guess that Family History!!

Catsma :)
Milne Gerrard Thom Henderson Geddes Watson Smith Hepburn

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 October 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
I note that the only reference to her birth is in the various census records. There seems nothing in IGI or SP. I wonder if there is anything in church records for Tyrie.

Regards

Malky

Offline RoscoP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I have also tried to trace Margaret Minty, I have found 4 illegitimate children born to her, but cannot find them after they were born, or where she went, She had a son John born 1869, Williamina born 1872, james born 1874 and William born 1882. They all had different fathers as far as I can tell