Author Topic: Loch/Lock, Taylor, Jones, Boswell in England  (Read 1223 times)

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loch/Lock, Taylor, Jones, Boswell in England
« on: Tuesday 01 October 13 16:55 BST (UK) »
I'm helping a friend do her family tree and I've run into the following lines:

Line A.
1. Caroline Loch/Lock chr. 28 Mar 1870 Rossett, Denbighshire, Wales m. 26 Aug 1889 New Mills Derbyshire, Henry Mellor
2. Vernon Lock/Taylor chr. 16 Dec 1833, Chedworth, Gloucestershire, Eng. m. Nekoda/Nicoda Jones (Line B).
3. Edward (Richard/Longsnout/Credit) Taylor b. ca. 1812 Starkpam, Derbyshire, Eng. m. Lucy Lock (Line D)

Line B.
1. Nekoda/Nicoda Jones b. ca 1837, Woods, Gloucestershire m. Vernon Lock/Taylor
2. James Jones chr. 7 Mar 1816 Gnosall, Straffordshire, Eng. m. Caroline ?Meade/Meads
3. Ezekiel Jones b. ca. 1796 Salop, Shropshire, Eng. m. Orange/Olive Jones (Line C)

Line C.
1. Orange/Olive Jones b.ca. 1804 Church Eaton, Staffordshire, Eng. m. Ezekiel Jones
2. David Jones m. Honor ?Ainsley

Line D.
1. Lucy Lock b. ca 1814, Green Hill, Staffordshire m. Edward Taylor
2. Matthew Lock chr. 2 Jan 1785 Biddulph, Staffordshire m. Memberensi Boswell (Line E)
3. Henry Lock/Boswell b. ca 1744, m. ?Sarah Peters

Line E.
1. Memberensi Boswell m. Matthew Lock
2. ?Henry Boswell

Can anyone help get these lines further back and confirm or eliminate question marked lines?

Any help is appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Cameyturpin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Loch/Lock, Taylor, Jones, Boswell in England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 19 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Replying to line E>  Memberensi Locke was born Boswell in 1788.  She died 3/23/1869.  Her father was Henry Peri Boswell and her mother was Jane Boswell born Lepeny.

Matthew Locke was born in 1785 and died 2/1/1871.  His father was Henry Locke born 1744 and died 1811.  His mother was Sarah Locke born Peters.  She was born in 1745.  Matthews paternal grandparents were George Locke, born 1724 died 1764, and Sarah Lock, possibly born Morris.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info. I truly appreciate your help.

Do you also have places of birth and death for the persons you gave me info on?

Offline Cameyturpin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
I have Memberensi born in Chadlington, Oxfordshire and death Clows Top, Rock, Worcestershire.

Matthew born Biddulph, Staffordshire. Death Rock, Worcestershire.

Jane Boswell death Rutland.

Henry Peri Boswell birth Gloucestershire.

Nothing on Sarah Locke (Peters) or Henry Locke, Sarah Locke (Morris) or George Locke

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 February 19 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you.

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Replying to line E>  Memberensi Locke was born Boswell in 1788.  She died 3/23/1869.  Her father was Henry Peri Boswell and her mother was Jane Boswell born Lepeny.

Is is possible that Jane Lepeny was actually Lepeny Draper? I found this marriage record on FamilySearch.org.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT2S-1BS?i=88&cc=1410775

Offline Cameyturpin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 February 19 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Iím not sure. Iíve never seen the name Lepeny Draper. Iíve only seen the name Jane.

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 19 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Would Jane have appeared in her children's christening records? I asking where the Jane came from.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 19 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Locke was born in 1785 and died 2/1/1871. His father was Henry Locke born 1744 and died 1811. His mother was Sarah Locke born Peters.  She was born in 1745.  Matthews paternal grandparents were George Locke, born 1724 died 1764, and Sarah Lock, possibly born Morris.

Matthew Lock's parents were certainly called Henry and Sarah, but Henry was still alive in 1815 when Matthew's sister Unity was married in Chedworth, Glos.  See the newspaper report dated 16 November 1815.  (I am descended from Lavinia, one of the unmarried daughters mentioned.)

There was another couple called Henry & Sarah Lock in South Cerney, but they seem to be settled there, and are clearly not travellers.  They had several children baptised there, and there is no indication in the parish registers that they were travellers.  It is this Henry Lock who married Sarah Peters in South Cerney in 1775 and died there in 1811.  I do not think they are the parents of Matthew and Unity.

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.