Author Topic: Thomas Pugh circa 1650 of Llwygwy, Pennal. Anwyl of Llugwy, Pennal, Hugh Pryse  (Read 11552 times)

Offline elinor p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear David, sorry for the typos in my previous post, I am about to go on the school run. I am really most grateful to you and for any more information, I likewise could provide you with more family tree history should you be interested. Thank you,

Offline elinor p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dear David, I'm wondering whether you received my posts on Saturday and my Personal Message?

Thank you

Elinor

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pugh circa 1650 of Llwygwy, Pennal. Anwyl of Llugwy, Pennal, Hugh Pryse
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Elinor,

I have not received the message but I can see a possible reason.

I will send one to you instead.

David

Offline penhen22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pugh circa 1650 of Llwygwy, Pennal. Anwyl of Llugwy, Pennal, Hugh Pryse
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 February 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I livein Pennal and have collected a lot of local history.  The Puw family of Pennal that are usually referred to are the Puw/Pughes/ ap Huw of Cefn Caer and Pumwern which is a farm very near Llugwy.
 These re decended from Huw/Hugh, illegitimate son of Hywel ap Siencyn, of Ynysmaengwyn estate of Tywn(Towyn)  in about the 15th century.  H ap S is believed to have fought in the Battle of Pennal in 1472 ( part of the war of the Roses)  I have a great deal of info about these families.  They were famous for sponsoring bardspoets in the middle ages.  Cefn Caer was a noted hall house.  Pumwerna place of patronage for poets.  There are poems that survive, in 'Noddwyr y Beirdd ym Meirion' (The sponsor of the bard in Merioneth).  One poem notes that they was poetry and harp singing in cefnCaeretc.  I have more information if you are interested.  The Pugh family I believe were at Pumwern for centuries.  Pughes left Pumwern for Penllyn in the mid 20th century.  the Anwyls of Llugwy are really a tifamily in my mind and were at Llugwy until the early 20th Century. With no direct descendant of Anwyl in pennal, one son of a married daughter took the name Anwyl so that he couldlate inherit the estate though that was sold in the 1950s/60s.