Author Topic: 1803 Bapt LIONEL/LEONARD TODD - Irby  (Read 2037 times)

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1803 Bapt LIONEL/LEONARD TODD - Irby
« on: Saturday 05 October 13 03:25 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that someone may be able to look at the original Baptismal Record at Irby upon Humber for me?
I think there may have been a mistake in the christian name of this record.  I am looking for a LEONARD (possible ELLIS) TODD, son of FRANCIS TODD & ANN FARROW.  By what I can find on Family Search, he may have been  the 5th child in the family of 11.  All seem to have been born in Irby.
  There is a LIONEL ELLIS bapt 25 Sept 1803, but I can't find LEONARD.  Perhaps LIONEL is meant to be LEONARD?  Leonard was my gr.gr.grandfather whose son ELLIS came out to Aust between 1861 & 1871.
  I would very much appreciate any help with this & a copy of the bapt record would help me to decide if I'm on the right track!
  Many thanks.
                                                                                   :) Carol Butcher

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1803 Bapt LIONEL/LEONARD TODD - Irby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 October 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
  I would very much appreciate any help with this & a copy of the bapt record would help me to decide if I'm on the right track!

See for yourself (top right) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=596599&iid=270019

:)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 October 13 05:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Geoff-E.
This bapt is definitely LIONEL ELLIS TODD (although the record was not real clear).  I shall have to continue to search for LEONARD TODD.  When he married in Kingerby on 3 Feb 1842 to SUSANNA TOYN he gave his name as LEONARD TODD, father FRANCIS TODD.  He has to be there somewhere.
I'll look further at LINCStothePast.
   I appreciate your reply & help.
                                                                  Carol Butcher

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
I see that William TODD 40 Irby has a son called Leonard (6 in 1851).

In case you need them, there are these burials at Irby
14 July 1836 Ann TODD (67)
21 Aug 1845 Francis TODD (79)

and at Kingerby
8 Dec 1846 Leonard TODD (45)

For what it's worth, I can't find anything else relating to Lionel TODD.  Perhaps he just didn't like the name or perhaps the vicar made a mistake.

I'm unable to find a marriage for Francis TODD in Lincs in the right era. :(

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 05:16 BST (UK) »
I'm unable to find a marriage for Francis TODD in Lincs in the right era. :(
Do you mean the marriage of Francis Todd and Ann Farrow, referred to in the original post? Need to go to Specsavers.  :)
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=561317&iid=321789
(top right)

Note that the parish is Riby - not Irby.  :) But what a coincidence the places are anagrams.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Pam :)

It doesn't help when the IGI has dated it 10 years early, FreeREG has him as TODDS and it doesn't show up in my index. :(

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
Pam :)

It doesn't help when the IGI has dated it 10 years early, FreeREG has him as TODDS and it doesn't show up in my index. :(
Have to admit, that when I look at it closely, it does look like Todds.
And (again when I look more closely  ;D) it says Todds in my indexes.  :-[
I must have had the 'and variants' ticked for the surname when I searched on one of them.
(And before you say it, yes, I do very badly need my eyes tested! Just trying to find time to fit in a test. :) )

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 October 13 05:07 BST (UK) »
 :D Thank you very much to both of you.
The help you get from this site is just wonderful.
  That's a thought I hadn't considered - that perhaps he just didn't like the name LIONEL!  It seems he descended from two previous generations of LIONEL/LYONELL TODDs, judging by the IGI records.  I'll try to locate their original record.
  So far I haven't found any record of LEONARD TODD before the 1841 Census!
Although I have been given the marriage entry of a FRANCIS TODD to SARAH TAYLOR at Goltho in 1756.  I'll attempt to trace their family - they may be a possibility.
   Many thanks once again. 
                                                                   Carol B.

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 October 13 05:29 BST (UK) »
 :D Hello Geoff-E & Pam,
  I've spent some hours going through some of the records from Lincs of the Past until I was going 'ga-ga'.  You just can't see some of them!
  I'm wondering if you'd mind looking up your indexes to confirm (and in some cases rectify) some of the TODDs that I found - or I think I found.
THORGANBY Parish Records - Image 30 of 32; 1764 (bapt) John the son of Eyonell Todd & Beck his wife  ?   September  ?       Also  Edward Todd  &     ?     Todd  ?  21.
(On other side of page) - bapt?  Edward? Todd the son of Lionel Todd & Rebekah his wife bapt. March 2, 1770?
and   Rebeckah Todd  buried October 6, 1771 ?
  Image 24 of 32;  1728, Lionel son of Lionel & Mary Todd ? buried?  May 2nd.
  Image 25 of 32;  1723, Ann Todd buried  March  ?
                                    ?   of Lyonell Todd born ?  March 7th?  buried March 13 ?
  Image 26 of 32;  1740, Feb 8?  bapt Elin Todd dau of Lyonell Todd & Mary his wife.
THORGANBY Marriages & Banns; 1761, Image 6 of 11; Marriage between Thomas Marrows of Nettleton & Helen Todds of this parish ...  ....   after Banns were published, the said Thomas Marrows & Helen Todds were married in this parish by Banns  this 3rd November 1767.  Witnesses Lyonell Todd & Isabell Todd.
       I sincerely appreciate your help as it's very frustrating when you can't read the records (as I'm sure you know).      Regards.
                                                                                    Carol B.