Author Topic: Eliza Rogers came from ?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Rogers came from ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 October 13 15:28 BST (UK) »
Neither Cleveland, nor Clareland, nor even any conceivable village starting in that way appears in GENUKI Essex Towns and Villages. That means the place of birth is a hamlet which may not even still exist.

I have 2 very large and old Gazetteers of England & Wales or the British Isles - 1851 an 1862. Neither shows any place in Essex beginning Clare... nor a place called Cleveland.

I notice that you refer to her as Carol Eliza yet the census entry [it that is what it is] just says Eliza. Do you have documents showing her as Carol Eliza? I mention this because people did not have passports in those days or at least not as we know them and people could relocate and become whoever they said they were, especially if born before universal birth registration.

Then we have the possibility that she would appear on an English census, 1841 or 1851 but I cannot find any likely subject.

Lastly, how did she acquire the means to emigrate?  I assume you are on firm ground there with records of immigrants into Australia.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 October 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if that place name started with something other than a C (E perhaps? :-\). There is a Clare above and the C looks a little different ...  :-\

Presumably this is an immigration record? If so, spellings may not have been accurate.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 October 13 16:18 BST (UK) »

I notice that you refer to her as Carol Eliza

It should be "Thanks Carol, Eliza immigrated......"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 October 13 16:32 BST (UK) »

I notice that you refer to her as Carol Eliza

It should be "Thanks Carol, Eliza immigrated......"

Stan

Ah! I see it now.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 October 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Based on the fact that there is a Charlotte Overall born in Great Bardfield in 1839 who emigrated to Australia (a few lines higher up the list), I assume that Eliza was born in about 1837, as she is two years older than Charlotte on the list.

Looking at the Eliza Rogers on the 1841 census, there is one born in about 1835 in Clavering, Essex. it doesn't sound anything like Claveland/Clareland, but the first five letters could be the same.

Others born at about the same time are in Wethersfield, Messing, Feering and Chelmsford. You could follow them through later censuses to see which disappear by 1861: I can see the ones from Feering and Chelmsford in 1861 as they weren't married by then.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 October 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
Based on the fact that there is a Charlotte Overall born in Great Bardfield in 1839 who emigrated to Australia (a few lines higher up the list), I assume that Eliza was born in about 1837, as she is two years older than Charlotte on the list.

Looking at the Eliza Rogers on the 1841 census, there is one born in about 1835 in Clavering, Essex. it doesn't sound anything like Claveland/Clareland, but the first five letters could be the same.

Others born at about the same time are in Wethersfield, Messing, Feering and Chelmsford. You could follow them through later censuses to see which disappear by 1861: I can see the ones from Feering and Chelmsford in 1861 as they weren't married by then.

Richard

Good detective work.
Do the names of Eliza's children have any similarity to potential siblings of those families. I had looked at the Messing one myself.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
hello Richard you had me worried I thought for a minute I had called her Carol. Eliza was born about 1838 her parents were John and Ann Rogers nee Wright. Williams parents were Thomas and Ann Burton nee Risby. Eliza and William children were William, Sarah Hannah, John, Eliza and Alfred. Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has an Eliza Rogers parents John and Ann, all b. Clavering, Essex. However her year of birth would be 1835.

Siblings - this may be  a clue - Arthur, Emma, David, Moses, John, Amos.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
There are several online trees that say that the Ann Rogers in Clavering was born Ann Wright, but they only list Amos as their child. If you know her maiden name is Wright, it might be worth exploring further.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk