Author Topic: Clonmel Castle  (Read 6088 times)

Offline tomoc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clonmel Castle
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 July 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Benn999
 Thank you for the update on Carey's Castle am I right in saying there was two brothers and a sister left here in Ireland one of the boys names was John Carey but I would like to find out his wife's name also if they moved to Dublin thank you Benn999
Regards Thomas Carey

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 July 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Benn999
 Thank you for the update on Carey's Castle am I right in saying there was two brothers and a sister left here in Ireland one of the boys names was John Carey but I would like to find out his wife's name also if they moved to Dublin thank you Benn999
Regards Thomas Carey

The Rev Langer Carey of Careys Castle born 1788 died 1830 married Anne Labarte in 1812 the children of this marriage  were as follows, Garret Richard born 1813, ( inherited Carey's castle ) Peter born 1815, John born 1817, Edward born 1821, Robert born 1822 Langer born 1823, and Anna born 1825.

Doctor John Carey, Edward Carey, and Langer Carey emigrated to Australia in 1841 from Liverpool on the ship ' Columbine ' John Carey whom had qualified as a doctor in Dr Stevens hospital in Dublin served as ships surgeon during the 3 month voyage to Australia.

Sadly Peter Carey there brother died in 1844 aged 20 years, there other remaining brother Robert died in 1845 aged 23 years, both boys along with there Father and Mother are interred in Marlfield graveyard Clonmel,  this left just Garret Richard, his sister Anna and his mother Anne Labarte Carey still residing at the castle, according to local tradition often retold by some of the estate workers who were employed there at the time, Garret Richard was absent from the Castle away on business when the 3 brothers departed, there mother Anne Labarte Carey and there sister Anna waved them off from an upstairs window as they departed from the Castle, heading for the coast on 3 white horses, certain that they were seeing them for the last time, Anna with her husband Tom Jellico did however visit them in Australia some years later. so unless i'm missing something i cant find any other brother that would have gone to Dublin, there were of course lots of cousins so i may be missing something, hope some of this helps Ben999, ps sorry for the late reply.

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
Link showing images of Careys Castle

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxH2K99HLC1/