Author Topic: John Lloyd 1864 born in NK,Radnorshire Wales  (Read 13512 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Lloyd b 1864, the mystery man
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 June 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
I think George Meredith may have been married before the 1887 marriage to Elizabeth.This certainly looks like the couple,with Elizabeth's mother Susan present,in Ross in 1901

RG13/2474/62/1

meaning in 1891 they are in Newport,Monmouthshire

RG12/4383/30/12

It is not clear that this is the correct family connection for John Lloyd,but I haven't found a better candidate yet.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
The family I identified seem consistent with a marriage of Thomas Lloyd to Susanah Parry(1847).The children  Ann(e),Charles,George,James,Mary,Elizabeth, seem consistent but after that I can't find a John,but a Thomas and Richard appear.
Not sure what to do next at the moment.

Regards
Roger

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks so very much despair!! You have a very appropriate name for how we both must feel   ;D
I've taken a look at your research and you're right that it would seem to fit with the Meredith. But yet again, they're very common surnames, well Lloyd at least, if they were uncommon names I'd be very much inclined to agree with you  :( It's a shame that there isn't the vital man- John.

Family lore which has thus far been spot on, says that John was Welsh (and so why I posted in here), and is supported by 2/3 census. I have gone through every single John Lloyd b 1864, including those born way out of census places and have found a few possible contenders. I'm currently trawling through these once more.

Even though the marriage cert should say deceased if so for the father (Thomas) was dead, I am now looking for contenders with a deceased father. This may help explain why John wasn't sure where he was born as they could've moved around a lot?  ???

I've found an interesting chap on the 1871 in Llwydiarth. (About 13 miles from 'Gillsfield')

Ellis   Jones   Head   -   Male   34   1837   -   Ysbyty Ifan, (?)Denbighshire, Wales   
Margaret   Jones   Wife   -   Female   40   1831   -   Llangynog, Montgomeryshire, Wales   
Robert   Hughes   Son   -   Male   10   1861   -   Llanfihangel, Montgomeryshire, Wales   
Robert F   Lloyd   Step-Son   -   Male   10   1861   -   Hirnant, Montgomeryshire, Wales
John Lloyd Step-Son   -   Male   7   1864   -   Hirnant, Montgomeryshire, Wales

(Robert F seems to be in London as a bus driver in 1891)

No sign of this lot on the 1881 census or any baptisms for the children. Why is Robert a Hughes if he was Ellis' son?

Now I need the most important part of a marriage for Margaret to a Lloyd, or even better, some baptisms. No stronger a case than yours, or even possibly weaker, but a possibility?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 June 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
I don't think the John born Hirnant is yours. He would appear to be John James Lloyd birth registered sept qtr 1863 Llanfyllin vol 11b pg 237 mother's maiden name Jones. He is in Oswestry in 1881 as a draper and then in Cheltenham in later census years still as a draper. His brother as Robert F in 1871 seems to be an error as he should be Robert Humphrey Lloyd registered dec qtr 1860 Llanfyllin vol 11b pg 245 mother's maiden name Jones.

1861 census Tynfedw, Hirnant RG9/4265 folio 57 pg 12
Robert Lloyd head mar 40 farmer b. Hirnant
Margaret wife 37 b. Llangynog
Jane E dau 4 b. Meifod
Robert H son 8 months b. Hirnant
Elizabeth Jones niece 22 visitor b. Llangynog
+ 3 servants

12 June 1855 in Llangynog parish church Robert Lloyd 32 farmer of Llangynog married Margaret Jones 30 of Meifod, his father Humphrey Lloyd, hers Robert Jones, both farmers.

Robert Lloyd died aged 43 jun qtr 1864 Llanfyllin vol 11b pg 187. He was buried at Hirnant parish church 25 May 1864 abode noted as Cwm, in the parish of Meifod.

Margaret Lloyd married Ellis Jones june qtr 1868 Llanfyllin vol 11b pg 390a

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 June 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
That's great thanks osprey! Another one off the list. A much better researcher than I! :)

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 June 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
I've got a few more crossed off the list now.

Just a side though: could it be that John somehow was changed from Evan ? 8)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 June 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
Not impossible,but I have no precedents to quote.I would guess not but have no basis for the guess.
I'm still pursuing the thought that Elizabeth Meredith was his sister.While I cannot find a birth for John that fits,I can't find a birth for Joseph that makes sense in that context either,so I'm still trying to resolve that.
Another possible line is that John named their first born(Margaret E?) after his mother?

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Still can't resolve the latter history of the Lloyd family I was considering.There appears to be a Thomas born 1865,but can't make him into a John Thomas or Thomas John.Indeed,unless he's the Thomas Francis Lloyd who dies in 1869 aged 4,I don't know what happens to him.Not that it helps,but I found Elizabeth in 1881 with her eldest sister Anne in London.As the George Meredith marriage is the only one that appears to qualify,maybe the line of enquiry is just wrong.

Regards
Roger