Author Topic: John Davies LLansawel Carmarthenshire  (Read 3547 times)

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Davies LLansawel Carmarthenshire
« on: Thursday 10 October 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
I am new to this.  My great great grandfather was John Davies. In his family bible, he wrote he was born in Blaenresgair, LLansawel, Carmarthenshire on October 23rd 1834. From the 1841 Llansawel census, I believe his father was John Davies then aged 30 and from a scrap of family notes from a now deceased relative I think his grandfather would be a William Davies.  A reference in family papers is also made to Ffosgotta which I gather is quite near  at Abergorlech.
There are many Davies names in the Llansawel 1841 census and it is quite difficult to work out where to go from here.
Does any one have any advice?

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: John Davies LLansawel Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 October 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Dear StDavids,

Your great great grandfather John Davies of Blaenresgair, Llansawel born 23rd Oct 1834 was baptised on 7th November 1834 at Llansawel.  Parents showing as John & Mary Davies. 

NOTE: The 1841 Census has a lot less information than other Censuses  and also ages of people living in the house/farm over the age of 15 were rounded down, for example: if the person was 44 they would be put down to 40 or if they were 47 they were shown as 45).

From the information on 1851 & 61 Censuses - John (was born around1807) & Mary Davies (born around 1806) and lived at Blaenresgair (various spellings):

The 1841 Blaenyresker,  and 1851 & 61 Blaenyresgair, John and Mary had the following children and the date of births are estimated from the Censuses:
David b. 1832;  John b. 1834;  Mary b. 1837;  Jane b. 1839;  Elizabeth b. 1842;  James b. 1845;
Margaret b. 1848;  and Daniel b. 1852. 

The 1841 Census shows "Y" this means born in parish; and the 1851 & 61 Censuses show parents and children being born in Llansawel.  John (b. 1807) is a farmer in 1841 & 51; and a farmer of 70 acres in 1861; and by 1871 was a farmer of 76 acres. 

Also by the 1871 Mary had sadly died and John had remarried to an Anne.  The spelling of the farm was put down as Blaenyreskair.

Mary Davies of Blaenyresger was buried at Llansawel on 26 July, 1864 Aged 57

I could only find 3 baptisms for the 3 eldest children (John as above 1st paragraph); 
David baptised on 30th Oct 1832 and a Mary Baptised on 20 March 1837 at Llansawel.
Parents shown as John & Mary Davies, Blaenyresger.  John shown as farmer. 

I hope this is of a little help,
Kind regards, Alltcafan  :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 13 20:42 BST (UK) »
Bumping up as I have family from this area...rhydcymerau and esgairdawe. Great greats were Davies too. Small farmers, mill owner,  butcher.sandra

Offline owainelgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 21 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have relations with Blaenyresgair through Daniel James Davies (1895-1957), Daniel Davies (1851-1930), and earlier John Davies (1811-1891). However, I'm struggling to go further up the line. I have done a bit of research into your great great grandfather, did he move to Merthyr? Is there any way I can get in contact with you privately? Perhaps e-mail or via Ancestry account?
Diolch
Owain

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 21 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Owain,

You can access the PM function once you have made a couple of posts.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 21 22:00 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great grandfather was John Davies (1834 - 1883).  He moved from Blaenresgair farm, Llansawel to Merthyr in 1851 and was landlord of the Crown Inn Merthyr from 1856 until his death in 1883.
His father was John Davies (1809-1891) - a Llansawel farmer - who had 8 children - David, John, Mary Jane Elizabeth James Margaret and Daniel. Of those, as well as John, I know that David and Elizabeth also lived in Merthyr. e.g. Elizabeth first married a David Williams, and then remarried John Price Lewis one of the printers in Merthyr.
John Davies (1809- 1891) was the eldest child of James David (about 1780 - 1867);  James other children were David, Jane, Daniel, James, Ann and Mary.  James senior was a deacon of Bethel chapel in LLansawel and is buried in the graveyard there; he died at Ffosgotta on 1/3/1867.
James David's origins are a bit unclear / from the age on his death certificate, he would be born in 1780 - the most likely relevant trace I can find is a baptism record in 1783 that names the  father of James David as Lewis David.
I have checked the Bishops transcripts at Aberystwyth as well as the Llansawel parish register (which starts 1751) but cannot clarify it further.
The same Christian names keep coming up in each generation which makes it quite difficult to track things.

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 21 22:03 GMT (UK) »
You can try contacting me through Ancestry - although I don't know how effective that is.

Offline owainelgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for the reply and very insightful information. I've done a bit of research into Octavius, but nothing substantial. I knew that Elizabeth went to Merthyr as I have found one or two newspaper obituary after she died which is attached to my Ancestry tree.
I found a magazine article on John Davies last night, which took us through his religious beliefs and his background. This is attached to my tree also.
What is your Ancestry username? I can give you access to my findings.
Diolch
Owain

Offline garethd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 23 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My great-great-great grandmother ‘Anne George’ was John Davies’ second wife. Does anyone have any old photos of John or Anne? Would be fantastic to see any! ☺️