Author Topic: Edith Bathes/Bathe/Bath  (Read 864 times)

Offline woolcott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edith Bathes/Bathe/Bath
« on: Friday 11 October 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to help a friend from France find her gt gt grandmother.
Edith Bathes/Bathe/Bath, she was born c1872 in the London area, she moved to France and married Francois Geneaud, b c1860. Their son, George, was b 1901 Paris.
The only other bit of info she has is that Edith's mothers first name was Monica.
There is not much info I'm afraid, I have searched the English records with no success.
I will be grateful for any help.
Regards,
Ann.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Bathes/Bathe/Bath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 October 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Do you know when/where they married?

At http://canadp-archivesenligne.paris.fr I can see a Francois Geneaud m. 2 Feb 1889 in 8e - not to Edith, marginal note says divorced Nov 1896.  So presumably his marriage to Edith took place between then and 1901.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline woolcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 October 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm sorry there is no more information, could be that that's the chap. Timing is right for the birth of baby George. There is no record of a marriage in England.
Ann.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 October 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
16e births:
6 April 1899 (no 423) - Marguerite Julie Geneaud, daughter of Francois Geneaud, aged 39, coachman and Edith Bates, aged 26 (schoolteacher)  Marginal note says recognised in 1916 in 17e, by Edith Monica Bates?

22 Mars 1901 (no 352) -  Georges, original "Gemeau" corrected to Geneaud, similar details - think it says "declared recognised" by Francois, mother Edith Bathes in text but Edith Monica Bates in marginal note which mentions 1916 again.

Either way, the name Edith Monica Bates does show up in freebmd.rootsweb.com, born 1872 in Chelsea, and this may be her family on the census in 1881:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X3GP-8CS

The older sister, Helen A, I believe is Helen Agnes Bates, married in 16e in 27 July 1893:
Lucien Emile Alfred Delaplace, born London, 14 Jan 1868, son of Jules Delaplace and Lucie Angel (his spouse), living with his parents in Paris, married Helen Agnes Bates, schoolteacher, b. 5 July 1870 London, daughter of George Thomas Bates and Helen Jinks, his spouse.

I used free searches http://www.geneaservice.com/  and genealogie.com alongside the Paris archives to locate the information above - the indexes for central Paris are quite good so if Edith was married to Francois somewhere along the line it may have taken place in some location nearby.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline woolcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 October 13 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,
This is wonderful, My friend will be very pleased as she says she has been searching for quite some time. She has been searching for a Bathes.
I will continue the search for her on this side of the channel.
Thank you once again.
Ann