Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Cemetery Records Saskatchewan  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Cemetery Records Saskatchewan
« on: Saturday 12 October 13 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I understand that there is limit of over seventy years to apply for a death certificate in Saskatchewan and I think I need a definite year for Vital Statistics to search for. I am looking for a cemetery record for my great-great Uncle, who apparently no one ever heard of again once he left England for the US.

I have worked out that he moved from Oklahoma to Saskatchewan, Canada.

He was last found on the Canada Voter Lists in 1940, retired, aged 84. He does not appear after that - not on the subsequent 1945 electoral list.  At the time he was living in Parkside, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan; with, to my knowledge, no next of kin in Canada. He did not marry. Lists religion as none on the 1916 Census - in Parkside.

Details are: Mark W Pringle (I think the middle name is likely to be Wilson, as that was surname at birth)
b. 1856 Blyth, Northumberland, England

Thank you for any advice,
Nova67

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery Records Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 October 13 04:49 BST (UK) »
The Our Roots website has a local history book about Parkside which had a few mentions of a Mark Pringle. There were no personal details but curiously in one entry it says "Or I could tell you of Mark Pringle (not his real name)...". Could that be a reference to his birth name being different or is it a different person? Here's a link to that page: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wh8/

You may want to re-think ordering a copy of a death registration from Saskatchewan as they are very expensive ($50 Canadian).

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 13 05:27 BST (UK) »
Nova

To order a death registration you need a date of death. Jacquie is right it is very expensive for the genealogical copy. I believe it is only $25.00 Canadian for the regular certificate which will include name, date of death and  place of death. My thought on this is unless he told someone about his family in England and being single with no family the regular certificate would be your best bet.

Now if one can only find when he died

I have searched  hi and low and so far not found a burial record for him.
I will wait until Tuesday with Monday being Thanksgiving here in Canada and see if I can find any information.

I did not find him on Saskatchewan Residents Indexes or Burial Indexes so I shall put on my thinking cap and see what else I can come up with.

I am a former Saskatchewan resident and have done a lot of research there. I like a good challenge.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 October 13 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I guess the burial details are the most important.  Apparently my grandfather mentioned to my aunt the anecdotal information about him going to America and never being heard of again, so I was chuffed to find him. Don't know how he would feel about it! I feel if I can find out the death, he is truly found.

Re: Details are: Mark W Pringle (I think the middle name is likely to be Wilson, as that was surname at birth)
b. 1856 Blyth, Northumberland, England

There is no Mark Pringle birth registered in England of this generation, but per his birth estimate on the English Census I am thinking he was Mark Wilson at birth. His mother was Jane Wilson and father William Pringle.  They did not marry until 1858, hence I assume Mark was Wilson at birth as there is a registration that fits - it would be very much  a Northumbrian tradition to have the surname as a middle name. Appears always as Pringle after this.

He was running a blacksmith shop in Parkside in 1916.  His Wilson grandfather would have taught him the trade.  He is listed everywhere as a blacksmith.

Thank you for any advice,
Nova67

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 October 13 06:35 BST (UK) »
The Our Roots website has a local history book about Parkside which had a few mentions of a Mark Pringle. There were no personal details but curiously in one entry it says "Or I could tell you of Mark Pringle (not his real name)...". Could that be a reference to his birth name being different or is it a different person? Here's a link to that page: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wh8/

You may want to re-think ordering a copy of a death registration from Saskatchewan as they are very expensive ($50 Canadian).

Jacquie

Thanks Jacquie.  Only trouble is, he is Mark Pringle.  Interesting though. It is him on Page 39 of the book though.  That's great :)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 October 13 07:15 BST (UK) »
Oh and happy thanksgiving.  We don't have that here.

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 October 13 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hey Nova/Jac/Lily,

It appears that there are 4 cemeteries in Parkside not sure if any are buried there.  Parkside is a very small village so there may not be a town office there.

If you are looking for a burial it may be helpful to check out Shellbrook funeral home (about 10 minutes up the highway  :) ) they may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.beaulacfuneralhome.com/

or the other one:

http://www.northernfuneralservice.ca/about/directionsb.php

http://www.shellbrook.net/

Happy hunting:

Jeff

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 October 13 07:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jeff

Local knowledge helps.  I have written some emails.  Beau Lac Funeral Home did not have an email, but I have tried the other two.
I guess he could have died in a hospital, so maybe laid to rest somewhere near one?

Regards,
Nova67

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 October 13 07:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jacquie.  Only trouble is, he is Mark Pringle.  Interesting though. It is him on Page 39 of the book though.  That's great :)

Until it is confirmed to be him then it might not be. But as I said, if it is your Mark the reference to it not being his real name could be that he was born Wilson.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz