Author Topic: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN  (Read 25204 times)

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN
« on: Sunday 13 October 13 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I have hit a brick wall with a John McCarthy and Mary Quinn, my ancestors. I am descended from their youngest son, Thomas. I have managed to put together a profile on them both from 1846 onwards but am struggling with anything earlier. I have attached a profile of both John McCarthy and Mary Quinn based on documents that I have acquired as well as perusing other researchers. What I am getting an impression of is that the family seemed to follow the various gold rushes in both Victoria and Queensland. I think prior to 1846 the family were in the Yass/Forbes/Goulburn area but this is just a hunch. All posts on various websites appear to have hit the same brick wall as myself. I think the key to cracking Mary Quinn is to look for her mothers death certificate (a Mary Quinn was a witness at my Mary Quinns funeral so I am thinking it is the mother). I look forward to any assistance.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 October 13 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazwhell,

What is going on here?

08 Jun 1858, Kilmore, Colony of VIC
Thomas McCarthy (son) death certificate
My ancestor. Father: John McCarthy; Profession: Carpenter;

08 Jun 1858, Kilmore, Colony of VIC
Thomas McCarthy (son) death certificate
My ancestor.
Mother: Mary Quin Ingram (?)
Born: Stafford, England

I just worked it out, it is Thomas' birth certificate.

Debra  :)

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 13 08:33 BST (UK) »
Yep - typo. Birth certificate is correct. Trouble with cutting and pasting. I am descended from Thomas McCarthy and Annie Gallagher's daughter Elizabeth McCarthy who married my great grandfather William Searle.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 October 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would seem to be correct death of Mary McCarthy.

MARY MCCARTHY, FATHER UNKNOWN QUIN, MOTHER MARY, AT COOMA NSW 3650/1860

This DC should give marriage, Spouse, children, how long here. A full transcription is cheapest method.

Neil 
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 October 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry having trouble with the computer and only just got the last post in. Storms last night. Looking at you assumption for Mary's parents, why only her mother came as convict. her father could have and her mother came free with Mary and possibly other siblings. It's a fair guess they didn't just immigrate.

Mary Born roughly 1826 married in 1840 AGED 14!! Not impossible then but someone had to give permission. The wedding 1840, if it happened, has not been indexed, also not unusual.

It was not unusual also that the married couple Quinn lived together after arrival, so more children. There are only two couples on the index. A William Quinn or a James Quinn, both having children in the right timeframe. Neither couple's before 1830. James and Mary the earlier of the two with a birth 1832.

There are quite few deaths recorded of James Quinn as possible previous Prisoners, normally no parents shown at death on register, prior to 1860 and as early as 1844. Two deaths are doubled up on the registers but one in 1844 stands out. James Quinn aged 37 in 1844 Rf # V1844626 44B/1844

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 October 13 01:27 BST (UK) »
May I please ask about the 5 Oct 1845 Baptism for a John McCarthy .... Your comment indicates that another researcher has the location as Forbes NSW.     I find this somewhat confusing, as to the best of my knowledge in 1845 that district on the Lachlan was yet to become known as Forbes.   

http://www.bellsite.id.au/Site/family_trees.html
http://www.bellsite.id.au/gdbtree/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_38/P32127.html

The tree owner has NOT supported their statement that John McCarthy (son of Mary Quinn 1826-1860 and John McCarthry 1818-1876) was born 1845 at Forbes NSW Australia.

The NSW BDM commences CIVIL registration in March 1856, so any events that are indexed at NSWBDM with "V" as part of the reference no. are for EARLY CHURCH RECORDS  (baptisms, burials, weddings) .... Sometimes the NSW BDM has duplicated (or triple/quadruple even) the Early Church Records while at other times there is NO entry listed at NSW BDM.

I have NOT yet completed reading your pdf attachment  :)

Cheers,  JM     
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 October 13 01:55 BST (UK) »
Given that Mary McCarthy died at Cooma in 1860, then this death seems a more probable death of John.

JOHN MCCARTHY, FATHER WILLIAM MOTHER JOHANNA AT COOMA REF # 5663/1875

Neil

MODIFIED TO ADD
I cannot see a birth for John McCarthy 1845 but one is indexed three times for same, in year 1842?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 October 13 01:57 BST (UK) »
I think the key to cracking Mary Quinn is to look for her mothers death certificate (a Mary Quinn was a witness at my Mary Quinns funeral so I am thinking it is the mother). I look forward to any assistance.

Here is a death for a Mary QUINN ex the Minerva, age 36 died Liverpool Hospital 2 Feb 1844 as per NSW SRO’s Convict Index.    I cannot see a likely ECR at NSW BDM   

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-convict-records/indexes-to-convict-records

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 October 13 02:14 BST (UK) »
NSW SRO Applications to Marry
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/searchform.aspx?id=68&new=1

Have you looked at any earlier NSW marriages for brides surnamed QUIN/QUINN (and now I add a further variation KIRWIN )  that may then cause an impediment to formalising a 1840 NSW marriage? 

22 Sept 1826, Rev Marsden, at P’tta, There is a Patrick GOGARTY (Daphne) aged 33 marrying Catherine    QUIN or KIRWIN (ex Woodman) aged 27.

22 May 1829 Rev Marsden at P’tta  There is a Peter SULLIVAN (Mangles 2) aged 35 marrying Margaret QUINN (Minerva 2) aged 30  (Margaret often abbreviated as Marg on official records, and thus often MIS-read by transcribers as Mary)

5 Feb 1830 Rev Marsden at P’tta   There is a Thomas WILKINSON  (born in Colony) aged 25, marrying Ann QUINN  (Elizabeth 4) 21   

Cheers,  JM