Author Topic: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN  (Read 25188 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 October 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re the 1860 death cert.

Children of the Marriage:
I notice that there were 5 males and 1 female living and 3 males and 2 females deceased.  As the informant was the husband of the deceased, this information ought to be fairly reliable.   Have you found independent official sources to confirm those 11 un-named children ?   

I notice that John McCARTHY’s address at that time was “on the road to Kiandra, District of Cooma”.   I am fairly sure that District was the Police District.    I also notice that Mary McCarthy’s death occurred at Warnbrook.   

Death 21 August 1860 at Warnbrook in the District of Cooma, of Mary MC CARTHY, a female aged 34 years.
Mary died from Influenza, which she had endured for 10 days, without a Medico attending her. 

The informant believed her father’s surname was a butcher, surnamed QUIN. He also believed her mother was Mary QUIN, but he did not know Mrs Quin’s nee name.

The informant was John Mc CARTHY, the husband of the deceased, and his then address I have already given in this post.

The death was registered at Cooma on 22 August 1860 by John James RYALL, apparently without that chap considering a need for any inquest (sudden death, no medico present).  Under the NSW law,  The funeral director was not permitted to conduct a burial without either a) a the civil registration process docket being provided (hence John James RYALL registering the death) or b) a burial order issued by a Coroner or at least a Justice of the Peace or a Police Magistrate for any sudden death without a Medico to certify cause of death.   

The burial took place same day as the registration process was commenced.   Robert KINDER was the Undertaker.   The official witnesses were John Mc CARTHY and Mary QUIN.  May I please note that if that Mary was  John Mc Carthy’s mother in law, then she actually did NOT provide him with either the given name for his father in law (her husband) or her own nee name that he needed as the informant.   

I notice that John McCARTHY was the father to 11 children with his wife Mary.   Would you please type up their names and dates. 

Do you have any NSW BDM certs for any civil registration of their births? (not the baptisms, but NSW civil birth registrations commence from March 1856)   If so, from that civil registration, please type up all the details given by the informant when registering that birth.  Do you have the youngest's birth cert (official transcription) ....  :)  :) what details were given for that child's older siblings on that official document please.

Thank you all for your insights. I have most of the documentation with regards death certificates for John McCarthy senior and Mary Quinn junior and the birth certificates for their children (this is how I have been able to track them).

Continuing on from that 1860 dc, John Mc Carthy believed that his wife was from Dublin, Ireland and that she had been in New South Wales for 30 years.   As Victoria was hived off from NSW in 1851, then it would seem the couple and their children had NOT lived in Victoria.   Queensland was hived off from NSW in December 1859.   So I would expect to find their children were born in NSW.    As mentioned earlier in this post, the dc shows The couple had 11 children,  5 males and 1 female were living when Mary died.  3 males and 2 females had not survived. 

You should remove the NSW BDM death cert image that you have attached.  It may well be a copyright issue.    

May I also suggest that you can save some pennies by ordering official transcriptions rather than these "real deal" certificates.  NSW BDM’s website actually gives the following info:

"Family history transcription agents provide full and partial transcriptions, or verification of details. A good idea if you only need the facts, and not full certified copies of certificates. …...”
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html#transcription

RChat thread about this too
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=399.0  leading to
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0  leading to    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 October 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re John McCARTY, baptism 1846, parents as John and Mary.

Do you have the baptismal record for the John McCARTY baptised in 1846, as per NSW BDM Early Church Records reference Vol 63, line 2152 ?   If so, from that document, when and where and what denomination for that ceremony, and the name of the Rev’d.   Does it by any chance include the date of birth and/or the location?

Fingers crossed

PS, don't overlook checking your Martin and Margaret QUINN records, as I cannot find where they had a daughter named Mary.  I can find their daughter Elizabeth and I can find the couple putting their children into the Orphans School, and I have typed up two transcriptions for TWO different QUIN/N families with children into the Orphans School around that era.... 

I suspect Mary is more likely to be the daughter of Charles and Esther QUINN rather than Martin and Margaret....    Perhaps Charles was like many in those Foot Regiments, may be he had a trade background on joining the regiment....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
I am wondering about the following birth in 1858  :)

Do you have a copy of the following NSW birth registration:

NSW BDM reference 7923
In 1858, William J CAHEY, son of John and Mary A, registered at Ipswich.

I can see that the Qld BDM have this birth on their index too. (#  1858/C1333)
Date of birth 11 Nov 1858, William J CAHEY, parents as John and Mary Ann (formerly FOY

This is the only birth at Qld BDM that I have found for that surname in the period to 1900.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 01:24 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that the 1845 birth and the 1846 baptism are more likely to be pointing to a birth in and around the Mid north coast of NSW rather than to the central west of NSW.   

You see, the town of FORBES is in the Central West (post code 2871) but FORBES RIVER is much closer to the Darling Downs.... the Forbes River (post code 2446) is no where near the town of Forbes. 

John Oxley, NSW Surveyor General explored both areas, and HE gave the name CAMP HILL to the district we know as Forbes.  He did not name that district Forbes.   

The river "FORBES" was named by John Oxley, and it is not anywhere near that Camp Hill, on the Lachlan River.   The river "Forbes" (ie the Forbes River) is part of the Hastings River System on the Mid North Coast.

Clear as mud ??? 

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/oxley-john-joseph-william-molesworth-2530 

ADD

Would you please type up the info from that 1876 death cert for John McCarthy (23 May 1876, Duaringa) ....  how many and what names for his children, and also where does it state that he was buried ....  which cemetery,  what denomination, etc...   

Also does that dc mention Mary QUIN by name?   And would you expect that the informant would have known her name?

Also, what relationship to the deceased was given on the DC by the informant? 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 06:15 BST (UK) »
Maybe it's just me ??? But I cannot find one birth in Qld on the Register that looks vaguely like your McCarthy's. In the years 1840-1860.

In NSW I can find only John 1842, Charles 1848, Patrick 1849, Mary S 1850, James 1852.

In Victoria I can find a death of a Daniel McCarthy 1857 and the birth of a Thomas in 1858 both have the same parents John McCarthy and Mary (nee QUINN)

I can't even find a birth for a Daniel McCarthy.

Unless they are using various spellings could you maybe point me in the right direction as to the eleven children?

They must have been very slack in the registrations?

Neil ::)

Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi JM. Thanks for the info. The original start to this thread outlines references to the births/baptisms/deaths of the children of John McCarthy and Mary Quinn. I have the original documentation. Thanks for the tip about the transcription service. I only found out about this when I joined the family history society early this year and the documents were ordered earlier than this. Once again, thank you so much for your assistance. Karen

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
Neil - some of the certificates were recorded as McCarty.

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
JM - also thanks about the information about Forbes. That would actually also fit a scenario. I will email death certificate details tomorrow. I have to shoot off now. Thanks so much. Karen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
hhh
JM - also thanks about the information about Forbes. That would actually also fit a scenario. I will email death certificate details tomorrow. I have to shoot off now. Thanks so much. Karen

I there

Please do NOT infringe copyright by attaching certificates.  Please type up your own transcriptions instead.

Before we can help you we need your help .... so when you have a moment please do let us know the names (with the spelling variations) and details for those 10 older children who ought to be on Thomas's VIC birth cert.

I cannnot see how any mum who lived their colonial life in NSW (as per her husband in 1860) could give birth to children in Victoria... including your ancestor in 1858 .......  Your 1860 dc has that Mary nee QUIN as born Dublin ... the 39th regiment was in Ireland before its Australian tour so another clue to that Charles and Esther QUIN/N sighting I have found. 

Perhaps you could check back carefully an compare the pdf with the posts on this thread please

Cheeers JM