Author Topic: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN  (Read 25116 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 October 13 02:20 BST (UK) »
Quoting from earlier post :

08 Jun 1858, Kilmore, Colony of VIC
Thomas McCarthy (son)
My ancestor.
Mother: Mary Quin Ingram (?)
Born: Stafford, England
 Thomas' birth certificate.

Question

May I please ask if you have you followed up the INGRAM clue and/or the Stafford England clue

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 October 13 04:04 BST (UK) »
Another interesting hit was that of Martin Quin (Guildford 2) and Margaret Bergin (Elizabeth 2). They had a child Martin and a daughter, Mary Ann Quin who was born in 1827. I believe that both children were put in to the orphanage at some stage in the late 1820’s.   (from the pdf part of pg 5 of 8 )

The NSW SRO and Ancestry have a current partnership with Ancestry uploading various images.   I think I may have found a further Mary (Ann) Quinn, a daughter of Charles and Esther  ;D of the 39th Regiment of Foot (I think they followed the 48th Regiment)

:) read:

22 April 1832

To the Trustees of the Clergy and School Lands in the Colony of New South Wales

The humble Petition of Esther Quinn in behalf of Henry and Mary Ann Quinn sheweth that the said Henry and Mary Ann Queen are the Children of the Petitioner as by the annexed Certificates will appear.

That the petitioner is the Widow of the late Private Charles Quinn of the 39th Regiment of Foot and has three other children each of tender years to provide for

Your Petitioner therefore humbly prays that the said Henry and Mary Ann Quinn may be admitted into the Orphan School; and if this Prayer be granted your Petitioner herevy agrees that the said Henry and Mary Ann Quinn shall remain in the Orphan School so long as the said Trustees shall think fit, and that when of a proper Age shall be disposed of at their discretion as an Apprentice or Servant. 

Esther Quinn her X mark  

There is a note on the Admission File re Henry Quinn, he was aged 6 as at May 3rd (1832) ….  Sept 6 1832 he quit the school.   The note reads “Baptised at Hobart Town” and “To his Mother”. 

I think this means that Henry was baptised at Hobart back when the 39th Regiment was stationed there.   And that on Sept 6 1832, his Mother had Henry discharged back into her care.

Applications for Removal (from Orphan School)

2 September 1832 Parramatta.

Sir,
I most humbly beg Excuse for troubling your Honour in Troubling you with any Letter to get my Dear Child from the Male Orphans School Liverpool as he is at this time an object of Pity through grief I put him in at the time of his fathers Death when left alone with a small family about 4 months ago.    Honored Gentlemen,  I hope ye will take this in Consideration and allow me to get my Child from the School again, as I am married again to a man that left the same Regiment with my former Husband.

James Woodley a Boots and Shoe maker by trade and he has got a grant of land and is going to reside on it in a short time and he is very desirious to get this boy to give him a trade himself. 

By your permission
The Late Mrs Quinn
At Present Mrs Woodley

Fingers and toes crossed  ;D .... and  :'(  I have not found Mary Ann Quinn's discharge  :'( 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 October 13 04:21 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTXW-WP5

Henricus Quinn, SON of Carols Quinn and Esther Coogan baptised 08 May 1825

https://familysearch.org/search   cannot see one for Mary Ann Quinn dau of Esther

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 October 13 04:36 BST (UK) »
Philip Street, Parramatta

2nd November (1831)

To the Venerable Archdeacon Broughton , Abott and the Honorable Committee of Superintendence of the Orphan School Establishments in the Colony of New south Wales

The Humber Petition of Martin and Margaret Quinn of Parramatta in the County of Cumberland.

Respectfully Sheweth

That your humble petitioners were at a period when absolute necessity compelled them (being Prisioners of the Crown) obliged to avail themselves of the indulgent Benevolence of the Hon(ora)ble Committee for the Admission of three children viz two boys (named Martin and William Quinn) into the Establishment at Liverpool) and one Girl (named Elizabeth Quinn) into the school at Parramatta for which bountiful kindness they entreat permission humbly to return their sincerest gratitude;   and also respectfully beg leave to represent for the gracious consideration of the Hon(ora)ble Committee that by their united efforts assisted by the kindness of an all bountiful providence and aided by their having obtained their liberty; they are now in such circumstances as will enable them to afford them a sufficient and comfortable support, and also to devote their attention to their future welfare, by placing them in such a situation as will in due time enable them to provide for themselves.  Under which impulse they humbly implore permission to request that they may be favored with such directions as will cause them to be restored to their parental care and protection for which they will (as in duty bound) ever since their sincerest gratitude.

Signed Martin Quinn and Margaret Quinn (two signatures, neither in the handwriting of the clerk who prepared the petition).

John Joseph THERRY certified on that petition “To certify that the petitioners are possessed of sufficient means to enable them to support and educate their Children.  Sydney 31st Oct 1831”

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/therry-john-joseph-2722 
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/broughton-william-grant-1832

So, from the above, I believe that Martin and Margaret QUINN were NOT parents to your Mary QUINN. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 October 13 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hmm ::) Going on your KERWIN possibility JM....

JAMES KERWIN MARRIED MARY A  MACARTEY  AT CB  ST JOHNS PARRAMATTA
REF # V1847217 32C/1847

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 October 13 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hmm ::) Going on your KERWIN possibility JM....

JAMES KERWIN MARRIED MARY A  MACARTEY  AT CB  ST JOHNS PARRAMATTA
REF # V1847217 32C/1847

Neil

Well that gets a bride from a Macartey to a Kerwin ..... ummm.....  I thought we wanted a Kewin bride to become a Macartey   :)   ::)  I could well be wrong.   Please put me back on track ....  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 October 13 06:36 BST (UK) »
How many times have you seen the forenames switched around on the Registers JM ::) WOT if the priest had just confused the issue. They would have put their mark to anything :o

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 October 13 07:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, so true Neil ..... and St Johns Parramatta  C of E ummm  ..... and St Johns where my own Gran was married with her Uncle conducting the ceremony.....   

Cheers,  JM

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 October 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your insights. I have most of the documentation with regards death certificates for John McCarthy senior and Mary Quinn junior and the birth certificates for their children (this is how I have been able to track them). I do think that John McCarthy junior was born in Forbes. I have his baptism certificate (registered in the Darling Downs/Moreton Bay district) which places his DOB as 05 Oct 1845 but his baptism as 09 Nov 1846. His sister, Clarinda was born in Queensland on 21 Jul 1847. After this, the next brother is born in Yass and the remainder on the gold fields in Victoria. I have a hunch that perhaps the family came to Queensland working for a squatter as this period is the "squatter" time in Queensland history. I have recently had an interesting hit for a John McCarthy (senior) who arrived in Sydney in 1841 on the ship Canton. His occupation is listed as carpenter. I don't know why this background would be kept hidden if this was my John McCarthy. So many variables before 1846. Either way, I do not believe John McCarthy Senior was born in Sydney around 1820 (no birth records or census hits). I am accepting that John McCarthy Senior and Mary Quinn junior did not get married. I look forward to further insights and guidance. I have slowly been working on this couple for two years now and are the last line I need to research and confirm to find out how all of my ancestors came to Australia. Karen