Author Topic: help with VEASEY and the place Charlestown Ireland  (Read 6617 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with VEASEY and the place Charlestown Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 November 06 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzy,
'Meath' is dittoed from the people above and I would suspect that the ditto was meant to be Ireland - if you follow me!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suentimb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzy
I have a John Vasey b 1841 Co Mayo in my mothers line he married a Margaret also from Mayo and had two sons that I have found, Michael and Thomas born 1862 and 1872 respectivly.

They were in Batley in the West Riding of Yorkshire from at least 1872 as Thomas states his birth place as Co Mayo.

The reason you see alot of Vasey families in Yorkshire is they were from the North east of England around Co Durham and moved down the coast to Whitby and then inland. So far they seem to have no connection with the Irish branch.
The story is that the name Vasey came from France with the Normans who were given lands all over the place as they took over Britain, I seem to remember something about Norman families in Ireland to though I hope some kind person could put me right.

Hope this helps?

Tim Bickerdike
Bickerdike West Yorks
Thompson Batley Carr
Kemp Batley & Drighlington
Clayton Halifax & Batley
Vasey Batley

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzy,

Just navigating around your Veasey/Vasey/Vesey query in Louth and Mayo .

Not sure how far you have now got, but just to say two Patrick Vesey families were resident just outside  of Charlestown.

One in Barroe, Kilbeagh east of Charlestown which now is within the Cloonmore DED area where at the time of Johns birth there were five households with the Vesey name and by the 1911 Census four remained with various spellings Veasy/Vesey.

The second in Treanacally/Hagfield west of Charlestown which is now within the Sonnagh DED area there were at the time of Johns birth three Vesey households which by the 1911 census were three with various spellings Veasey/Vesey.

I have seen the name Nevsey used later corrected to Vesey in my own research. I've had a quick look at The LDS site but feel you may have better luck with the microfilms for the Kilbeagh parish.

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

There was a De Vesci (pronounced De Vesey) estate in Abbeyleix Co Laois  (formerly known as Queens Co).  They were related to the Vesey and DeVesci families in Galway and Mayo.   The following link will give information from the library of the National University of Ireland in Galway which houses the estate papers of the families.  They were quite influential ancestors to have!   This link also gives an abbreviated history of the family.   Hope this helps with your research

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=529

Regards
Ros

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Much of the NUI Galway records provide a valuable insight into the Vesey family as I found in the past. Difficulty is establishing the connection beyond presumption, given the principal branch were COI and apparently absentee landlords during the 19Cent.
 The tenant farmer Veseys seemed to have turned and become assimilated by 1856 and were Roman Catholics in the main.
There may have been a parting of the waves on the question of religion as Viscount Dillon/Strickland the architects of the building of Charlestown were in the main sympathetic to the plight of the Catholic majority and some of the Veseys were tenants of Viscount Dillon.
Despite the extensive landholdings of George Vesey in 1856 none of his tenants were Vesey tenant farmers.

Offline GKoller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 January 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Does this match any of your info
There is more to the family. father is Michael Vasey and mother is Winifred Gallagher bother from Treneacally/Hagfield. My Ancestry  tree is koller3 5-2008
Birth of Son James F. Vasey(1874–)
AUG 1874 • Batley, Yorkshire, England/Batley, England

Birth of Daughter Maggie E Vasey(1876–)
1876 • Batley, Yorkshire, England/Yorkshire Co., England

Birth of Daughter Anna Veronica Vasey(1878–1970)
DEC 1878 • Batley, Yorkshire Co., England

Birth of Son Michael Vasey(1880–1884)
1880 • Batley, Yorkshire, England/Batley, England

Birth of Daughter Annie E Vasey(1880–)
Dec 1880 • England

Arrival
1 Source

Residence
1881 • Batley, Yorkshire, England
Marital Status: Married; Relationship to Head: Head

1 Source

Birth of Daughter Jennifer Vasey(1882–)
1882 • Batley, YorkshireCo., England

Birth of Son Michael Vasey(1883–)
1883 • Batley, Yorkshire, England/Batley, England

Death of Son Michael Vasey(1880–1884)
1 NOV 1884 • 4134 Terrace St, Manayunk, Phila., PA(5yrs)

Birth of Son Joseph M Vasey(1884–1944)
11 NOV 1884 • Manayunk, Philadelphia, PA.

Michael Vasey
Michael Vasey
20 Apr 1895 • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 Source 1 Media

EDIT
Michael Vasey
Michael Vasey
14 Jan 1897 • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 Source 1 Media

Hope this is a connection. I believe Michael had a brother Thomas and Patrick. Just can not tell from Charlestown records...:(
Hope to hear from you,
Gerry Koller
Maryland, USA
But they all settled in Philadelphia.