Author Topic: Looking for the Family of Arthur Bailey Born 1819 Bedford  (Read 16885 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Family of Arthur Bailey Born 1819 Bedford
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 October 13 10:08 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 October 13 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have a request in for Arthur Bailey's birth certificate.

how? Arthur was born 1819, civil registration started 1837
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 October 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Charles Bailey, bachelor married Ann Palmer, spinster, minor by licence on 2 June 1799 at St Paul's Bedford. The marriage licence transcript dated 1 Jun 1799 is for Charles Bailey, woolstapler of St Paul, age 21+ to Ann Palmer, daughter of Benjamin Palmer of St Paul, minor; suety was given ny father Benjamin Palmer.

Another licence entry dated 7 Jun 1800 has Charles Bailey, gent of Bedford giving surety for marriage of John Parker, gent of St Peter's & Susannah Bell of St Peter's who married there on 9 Jun 1800. Don't know if this CB gent is the same as CB woolstapler?

Baptisms at St Paul's Bedford as follows
10 Nov 1800 James Bailey son of Charles & Ann, woolstapler, born 20 Apr 1800
10 Jun 1801 Benjamin Bailey son of Charles & Ann, woolstapler, born 19 May 1801
25 Mar 1803 Charles Bailey, son of Charles & Ann, born 14 Feb 1803

Son James Bailey was buried St Paul's on 29 Mar 1802
** Found later on NBI burial of Benjamin Bailey on 12 Apr 1830 at St Paul's age 28

Noted other burials at St Paul's of James Bailey, woolstapler on 15 Feb 1802 and Mrs Sarah Bailey, widow from St Peter's on 17 Jan 1812. I pretty much suspect that these are Charles' parents, more later... 
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 October 13 16:30 BST (UK) »
Baptisms at St Mary's Bedford children of Mr James & Sarah Bailey
7 Feb 1770 Joseph, son
3 Jan 1771 Martha, daughter
16 Apr 1772 Ann, daughter,  was buried at St Paul's on 22 Jun 1773
9 Aug 1775 Charles, son

I noticed on all these baptisms that James Bailey is noted as Mr. while most other baptisms just had the name of father. Does this suggest that he was of some importance?

I didn't find a marriage for James & Sarah in any of the Bedford town parishes

Blars have the will of James Bailey, woolstapler of Bedford dated 6 Feb 1802, proved on 28 Apr 1802 where he leaves £2000 to his wife Sarah with proviso that £1000 of that goes to son Charles. There is also mention of daughter Martha Stafford, wife of Robert Stafford.  I found that Robert died in June 1814 & Martha on 8 Mar 1823. Blars also has Letter of Admin dated 29 Jan 1812 regarding the estate of Sarah Bailey of Bedford, widow, deceased; granted to son Charles Bailey.
Clement - Croydon

Offline T Bailey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 January 14 05:18 GMT (UK) »
I am Terry Bailey from Auckland New Zealand. Arthur was my GGG grandfather. If this is the Aurthur you are looking for I have the history of our Bailey family in New Zealand from Arthur's son Charles 1843 to my great grand children 2007. If you want further information post an e-mail address.

Published 2008 , The Dictionary of Falkland Islands Biography (Tatham)
• ARTHUR BAILEY (1819-1833)
Surveyor. Arthur Bailey was born in Bedford on 27 June 1819, the son of Charles Bailey and Anne, and christened at St Marys Bedford on 23 July. He served on the Ordnance Survey of England under Captain Colby RE 1835-1841. In 1841 he was appointed assistant surveyor to the expedition sent to New Zealand under Mr Ligaer and served in that post until 1848. He was then appointed surveyor general of the Falkland Islands at a salary of 350 pounds and probably arrived with Governor Rennie on the transport Nautilis in June 1848. A minute from Rennie dated 27 October 1948 expresses disappointment at his inability to construct roads and buildings. In reply Bailey blamed the poor quality of workmen in the colony.
In the Falklands census of 1851 he is described as married with two children. His wife was Marie-Louise (also spelt Louisa) nee Lovelige and they had two daughters Madelaine Jane (b1848) and Agnes who died aged 4 weeks on 24 October 1850. His wife died about two weeks later on 5 November. A despatch from Governor Rennie in 1851 noted that Bailey and his daughter were desolate and he was sent on one years leave. He married again on 7 April 1868 to Elizabeth, formerly Horrocks. They had seven children in the Falklands, all except three of whom seem to have died in infancy, although the records are not entirely clear. Elizabeth herself died in 1877, aged only 25.
Governor Moore suspended Bailey for discharging a pistol in the settlement and for insulting conduct, but this incident does not appear to have harmed his career. In Jul 1859 Bailey accompanied the colonial secretary James Longden on a tour of the North Camp counting cattle - the reckoned that about 6,000 wild cattle remained and commented:' the cattle are increasing again gast and there is abundance of pasture especially in the districts which have been chiefly seats of operations of Mr Lafone and the Company'. In 1861 Moore instructed him to use his authority as JP to sort out a dispute between the lessees of New Island and the captain of a French brig who was illegally slaughtering penguins. The surveyor post was closed in 1873 and Bailey was appointed coroner, registrar general and receiver of wrecks in 1875 and police magistrate in 1878. He administered the government during Governor Callaghan's leave in 1878. His term was not a success: on his return Callaaghan wrote" I found that a decided reaction had set in against the recent policy of the government, and this I fear greatly owing to Mr Bailey, who from his long residence here has become too subject to local influences to be able to withstand the strong pressure put upon him:'. In July 1879 Callaghan told the Colonial Office that he was unwilling to devolve government on Bailey again.
He died on 14 September 1883 and was buried in Stanley Cemetery as was both his wives and four or five of his nine children. In a despatch Governor Kerr noted his death, after a short illness, adding "Mr Bailey was a very old and meritorious public officer of this Colony'.
Despite his personal sorrows, he had indeed provided experience and continuity to the infant colony though he had failed to rise to the occasion when he acted as Governor.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 January 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

When you reply to any post on RootsChat, everyone receives a notification of a new reply and a link to the new posting.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline getstarted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,
I do have information on the Bailey's in New Zealand but it is great to hear from you. Arthur was a bit of a rogue but he certainly had an interesting life. Tracking his family is not an easy task.  Arthur was my Great grandfather. Elizabeth Horrocks was my G grandmother.

Thank you

Offline janebailey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 February 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Found this thread really interesting. Arthur Bailey was my GGG Grandfather being the father of Charles Bailey my GG Grandfather. It is my understanding that he never married Christina Healey/Hely my GGG Grandmother. I would be very interested in any more information on either of their families
Thanks
Jane Bailey :-)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 February 19 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Terry and getstarted have been notified by email of your reply.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk