Author Topic: Ouida Jessie Isonde Pettitt/Sedalia  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Elaine Garner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ouida Jessie Isonde Pettitt/Sedalia
« on: Thursday 16 June 05 15:01 BST (UK) »
In 1915 Ouida Jessie Isonde Pettitt married a Music Hall Illusionist Carl Sedalia (real name Leonard Wilmin) and had a daughter. In 1916 Ouida left her husband and child and has not been heard of since. Her last known address was 2 Wyndham Street, St Marylebone. I would be very gratefull for any information regarding Ouida, as I have not been able to trace her life/death by any means.
Sedalia Wilmin

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ouida Jessie Isonde Pettitt/Sedalia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 05 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Elaine
I can't find any Ouida Pettitts on the 1901 census but quite a few Jessies.
So, what hard information do you have at the moment?  Do you have her marriage certificate?  That should give you her father's name and hopefully her age which would mean we could narrow down her whereabouts in 1901.
Let us know where you have searched for information so far so that we don't re-invent the wheel :)
Barbara F
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elaine Garner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 05 15:59 BST (UK) »
Ouida Jessie Isonde Pettitt was born 10th April 1895 and registered in Staines, her parents were named as Alfred Pettit (Architect) and Laura Pettitt (formerly Mitchell), None of which show up on the 1901 census although Laura and Ouida have been traced to addresses up to 1912 and we have traced Laura's death in 1929. Ouida spent time in and out of foster care and her brother Othma was brought up by a foster mother.
Ouida was married on 20th January 1915 at St Marylebone Register Office to Carl Sedalia.  Carl Sedalia is in reality Leonard Wilmin, my partner's grandfather.  Ouida's daughter Margaret Sedalia, my partner's mother, was born 20th March 1915. We have a letter dated 1st May 1916 entrusting 'the child' to the care of relatives in Sheffield, signed by Carl Sedalia.  The child was my partner's mother. She never saw her mother, Ouida, again.  My research started with my partner's grandfather Leonard Wilmin, but the mystery of what happened to Ouida is driving me mad! Margaret was told that her mother had 'left'. We don't even know if she knew her husband's real name.  The only shred on hope we have had is on a draft copy of Leonard's will, a handwritten notation in the margin of one page reads 'Pettit'. The draft will is dated 8th December 1953, one year before Leonard died. There is no reference in the completed will or in the court case following his death.

Believe me I've tried everything I can possibly think of to solve this mystery, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sedalia Wilmin

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
Elaine
No wonder this is driving you mad  :)
I have drawn a blank on the 1901 census too.
I wonder whether you need to come at this from a different angle.  What do you know about Alfred and Laura from earlier censuses and do you have their marriage details?  It could be that Ouida was with relatives and therefore appears on the census in 1901 under a different surname.  You say her brother was raised by foster parents -were these relatives or could they be?  Have you found him in 1901?
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elaine Garner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 05 19:07 BST (UK) »
Laura and Alfred were not married. Laura was married to Horace Cadd when she had both Ouida and Othma to Alfred Pettitt, there was a 'legitimate' son but both Ouida and Othma were illegitimate.  Othma was brought up by a foster mother, Ada Horley, Ouida spent time in and out of foster care with Ada.  No info has ever been found on Alfred Pettitt apart from he is detailed as an Architect on their birth certificates.  Laura moved around a lot, she was 'missed' on the 1901 census due to the moves. Othma went to war in 1914, when he returned in 1918 he tried to find both his mother and sister, he never did.
Ouida married 'Carl Sedalia' but left in 1916, she left a baby daughter behind and never tried to make contact.  Ouida was only 22 when she left, I find it hard to believe that she didn't have another child. Leonard Wilmin (Carl Sedalia), her husband, was a womaniser. When he died in 1954 he was'married' (no marriage record) to Naomi Wilmin in Bournemouth but living with Eva Wilmin (name changed by deed poll aparently) in Marylebone, London.
Margaret Sedalia (Wilmin) was Leonard and Ouida's only child, she died 12 years ago, my partner (Margaret's only child) is 50  on 25th June 2005 (next week). I started researching his grandfather as part of his birthday celebrations over 6 months ago.  So far I have mysteries but no answers!
I've searched 1837 online by quarter from 1915 through to 1970 for Wilmin, Sedalia, Pettitt, Mitchell, Cadd, unknown deaths etc but still nothing.
We have no idea what happened to Ouida.
Sedalia Wilmin

Offline burwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
I have information regarding the Alfred you are seeking. In the 1911 census for Blean in kent Alfred de Breanski (artist) is listed as a visitor. He later lived in Dartford with her and died in 1928 at the same address as Laura pettitt, Ouida's mother. I can supply further information.
Richard