Author Topic: Churches in Musselburgh - COMPLETED  (Read 1976 times)

Offline K44ENF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Churches in Musselburgh - COMPLETED
« on: Friday 18 October 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
My 4x gt grandfather, James Hay (1750-1810), was a baker in Market Street in Musselburgh. His burial record states where in the churchyard he is buried. I would like to try to identify which church this would have been. I have done a little poking about on Google to try to identify which churches would have been there at the time, but wondered whether anybody knows of a resource where I could take this research a little bit further.

I would be grateful for any help.

Karen
Houston: Midlothian
Roy: Perth & Kinross
Donat, Midlothian+Glasgow
O'Shea: Glasgow+Dublin
Kennedy, Murrie: Ayr
Drummond: Tyneside

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churches in Musselburgh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 October 13 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Inveresk Churchyard was the biggest in Musselburgh, it is still used today. I will post this link,

http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/Inveresk.html#mi

but I think you may need to contact East Lothian Council at the Brunton Hall, Musselburgh for more recent records.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 13 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
            The most likely church would be Inveresk Parish Church which was built in 1806 and is next to Inveresk Cemetery,
Between Market Street and the graveyard were the High Kirk , which amalgamated with St. Andrews and is now known as St. Andrews High. The High Kirk is now a doll museum and the other one would be North Esk Parish which was not built until 1838.

suzilad

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Fullarton's Gazetteer mentions the Parish Church; the Relief Congregation Chapel, built some time after the formation of that congregation in 1783; United Secession Church, rebuilt in 1820; Scottish Episcopal church, built 'about 42 years ago' (the gazetteer is the 1842 edition, but one can't be sure that this detail was updated with every new edition) so would have been in existence in 1810. All the other churches are later than 1810.

I think the likelihood is that it was the Parish Kirk.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NT3472
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline K44ENF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks to everyone for replying.

It had looked to me as though Inveresk Parish Church was a distinct possibility. I took lots of photos when I was in Musselburgh last week, just in case. I'm reasonably sure that the records I have for James Hay and family are Church of Scotland records. I think I will try an email the Council to see whether I can get a definite answer on it.

Karen

Offline K44ENF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Churches in Musselburgh - COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 November 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »
East Lothian Council have confirmed to me that my 4x gt grandparents, James Hay and Ann Gray, were buried in the same lair in Inveresk Cemetery, but they do not have records of exactly where the plot is.

James actually has two separate records on ScotlandsPeople recording his burial. One of them says that he is buried "on the south side of the church yard", so I have a rough idea of where they were buried. Another little snippet of information for the old tree.

Very grateful for everyone's help.

Karen