Author Topic: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?  (Read 25451 times)

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 October 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
I have an Android tablet. It has a camera and allows all internet activity such as email, rootschat, etc. it also has very good e-reader functionality. You aren't locked into any one e-book supplier and I can access the free books from my public library as well.

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 October 13 03:43 BST (UK) »
Great for travel as it saves humping books around, but be careful with Amazon as you do not actually "own" the books you buy plus off course, your buying and reading habits are tracked - but what's new on that score eh?
Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 October 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks jettejjane, that sounds just what I want then  :) but I'm interested in grooms question to you because I rather thought that the books on my "old" kindle would/could just be transferred to the new kindle. Although I can see myself using them exactly as you do.

Jennaya, I don't know anything at all about android but will take that info into consideration.

Graham, I don't understand that we don't "own" the books from Amazon on our kindle. Can they take them away? Or did you just mean we don't physically own them . Yes they certainly do track what we buy because of all the emails tempting you to buy more....and the ads at the top of RC. ::)

Thanks for your input folks :)    I'm off to a Family History Fair now.........with no family history info because I have no Kindle with access to aps or internet  ::)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks jettejjane, that sounds just what I want then  :) but I'm interested in grooms question to you because I rather thought that the books on my "old" kindle would/could just be transferred to the new kindle. Although I can see myself using them exactly as you do.

Any books on your Kindle account can be accessed re downloaded on any Kindle device whether that is an actual kindle or another pad using a Kindle App.
Jennaya, I don't know anything at all about android but will take that info into consideration.

The operating system underlying the Kindle is a variation of Android there are quite a few tablets out now all using variations of the Android operating system

Graham, I don't understand that we don't "own" the books from Amazon on our kindle. Can they take them away? Or did you just mean we don't physically own them . Yes they certainly do track what we buy because of all the emails tempting you to buy more....and the ads at the top of RC. ::)

There has been a lot of debate and anger about this especially concerning music files - technically you are not purchasing the book from Amazon (or anywhere else) you are purchasing a restricted licence to allow you to view that file

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi HL,

Once you have registered your Kindle Fire with Amazon, all your books in your existing account are downloadable.

Out of interest there is a Kindle App for Apple, and I assume Android that let's you access all Kindle library so you can ready our books on other tablets too.

Maggie.

Red post - snap Falkyrn
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
I have an ordinary Kindle, which is the best of all for reading in my opinion due to it having a screen that is kind to the eyes and also an incredibly long battery life.  I also have an iPad mini with the Kindle app installed so I can also read my books on this. The reading experience however is not quite as kind on the eyes on the mini and I assume other tablets because of the backlit screen. Also the battery life of the tablets is something to think about they need charging frequently whereas my Kindle will last nearly a month on each full charge.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi HL

All books from kindle will be on kindle fire as well if you use same Amazon account. The reason I don't use kindle fire to read is the fire  uses much more charge whereas the ordinary kindle doesn't. I read old kindle  everyday. Obviously there is more on the fire so loses charge much more often. There again it is all down to how much you use it.

Like any touch screen it is very sensitive and needs the lightest touch. That took me a while! But wouldn't be without it now!'

Be a devil get one.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have an ordinary Kindle, which is the best of all for reading in my opinion due to it having a screen that is kind to the eyes and also an incredibly long battery life.  I also have an iPad mini with the Kindle app installed so I can also read my books on this. The reading experience however is not quite as kind on the eyes on the mini and I assume other tablets because of the backlit screen. Also the battery life of the tablets is something to think about they need charging frequently whereas my Kindle will last nearly a month on each full charge.

Maggie

That's interesting, Maggie. We both prefer to read our kindle books on an ipad. I didn't use the kindle for a while and now I am convinced that it is darker but wonder if that is because of reading on an ipad.  :-\

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 October 13 14:57 BST (UK) »

Be a devil get one.

Think it's only a matter of time now. I will keep my eye on the new models and decide which to buy very soon    :)

I can see that it's more sense to read on the old kindle because of battery life, so that will be the answer.

I've learnt a lot from your replies though, so thank you for all the info  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk