Author Topic: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?  (Read 25356 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a Kindle Fire?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 October 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, Maggie. We both prefer to read our kindle books on an ipad. I didn't use the kindle for a while and now I am convinced that it is darker but wonder if that is because of reading on an ipad. 

I do know what you mean Heywood about the kindle looking darker and I'm sure its because of us getting used to the brightness of a backlit screen. I've been trying out my tablet for reading my book in bed recently, rather than the kindle, and I've noticed that I cannot read for as long on the 'pad because my eyes get tired.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
If you go into your settings you can adjust the brightness of the light on the kindle

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
If you go into your settings you can adjust the brightness of the light on the kindle

Irene

I cant find that on my kindle which is 2 years old.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 October 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
Could be wrong groom but I think you can only do that on a Kindle Paperwhite. I have a Kindle touch and also can't alter the brightness but then again I don't find it a problem.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 October 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
It's worth remembering that you can read all your kindle books on any other devices that have the kindle app on them.

I was looking at the Kindle Fire HD last year as an option.

In the end, with all things considered we decided on the Google Nexus 7 as it had a crisper higher-resolution screen and it wasn't restricted to Amazon.

An advantage I can see of a Kindle Fire HD is that if you a LoveFilm customer you can watch streaming films on it, but LoveFilm (an Amazon company) don't allow it on other Android devices.

If you search for: Kindle Fire HD vs Google Nexus 7 then there are quite a few reviews out there.

The thing is, you're not going to go far wrong with either. :)

Trystan

PS I still read most of my Kindle books on my old original Kindle, just because the battery lasts for about a month, and I find it a lot easier on the eyes (as it's not lit up).
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 October 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, I think I will doubtless read books on my old Kindle for the same reasons as you.

I don't see myself watching films on such a device as I'm not a great film fan......well I am but my spare time is usually spent reading or researching trees.

I fancy the game facility and really, really, want something that will give me access to my tree information when I'm away from home.

I'll google Nexus 7 as I know nothing whatever about it. Where/how do you buy the books to download to a device other than the Kindle?
Best wishes HL

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 October 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
You do it all from the Kindle App.

The Kindle App is really simple to install too. You go to Google play on the Nexus 7, search the word "Kindle", then press "Install". It's free.

In the same way as with a Kindle Fire you register the device with your amazon account, you do the same with the Kindle app for the first time.

Then the books that you have on your Kindle will be available on your Google Nexus 7 too, and it will synchronise your pages between the devices too.

You can then flip pages and look at your books in just the same way.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 October 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Mmm....I've googled now and that does look interesting. I will have to read up on both of them and make my decision. Thanks for that info because I knew nothing about the alternatives. :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 October 13 16:46 BST (UK) »

Irene

I cant find that on my kindle which is 2 years old.

The old kindles do not have the option of changing the brightness of the screen but the newer versions do. I have a Kindle Fire HD and was able to adjust mine as I found it too bright
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission