Author Topic: Master Mariner's death  (Read 7190 times)

Offline 21dots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariner's death
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 October 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Edward Simmons, Master Mariner.  I have several documents signed by Edward re Marriage Licence plus bond for £200 (he married the next day after signing).  I have a copy of his Admon against his will for £400.  Transcript from All Saints Newcastle for his second marriage.  Numerous Lloyds records for his voyages, also entries in the toll register of Denmark 4 June 1778.  I have been informed that he died at sea, but cannot find any info.  I have tried North and South Shields archives, Newcastle Archives and Woodhorn Archives.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 October 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
The newspaper report "Sunday, at North Shields ....." wouldn't appear to fit a "died at sea"??

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 October 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Did you read the posts from 'Radcliff' ???

If he died 1882 as posted: Funeral,from Christ Church Tynemouth , Edw Simmons,Dockwray Square,master, 27th November 1782,

Also left a will: Edward Simmons, master mariner of Dockwray Square ,in the Parish of Tynemouth,Northumberland, date of probate 30th December 1782.

Then it would appear he died at home and left a will which would be available for you to look at.

Neil ???

Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:28 BST (UK) »
Well I am surprised you found nothing in North Shields library,I have been there myself and have found numerous newspaper reports for myself ,and other people, they have a card catalogue ,
His burial is correct as I took it from the Scanned Bishops transcripts, if he had died at sea ,his funeral would have been a memorial service,the next time I am over there I will ask the ladies to have a quick look for you,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:38 BST (UK) »
Edward may have been involved in a sinking of his ship in April 1782?

In May 1780 the Newcastle Courant reported that at North Shields three apprentices had absconded from the ship "Minerva....master Edward Simmons"

In April 1782 the same paper reported "....the Minerva, Simmons, coal load from Shields, for London ...." was forced back into the harbour and drove on land. The crew abandoned ship after staying aboard overnight and the ship "...is since entirely gone to pieces". 

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:48 BST (UK) »
Bond in 200 of Edward Simmons of North Shields ,master mariner to John Simmons of Kenstone and others concerning the Fraternity later know as the Provident and Mary,14th May 1780

document at Woodhorn
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 October 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Yarmouth would be worth looking at - having said that I can't imagine a lot of coal went in or out of Yarmouth.
A lot of trade also took place with Hanseatic nations that far back.
Ipswich is another place that may be worth looking at, also Grimsby.   Kings Lynn was a very busy port in those days.
I have just been lucky enough to find a chap who was not listed as "died at sea" but among "foreign deaths" - presumably he died outside territorial waters (if they had them in those days) and, in fact, he wasn't found straight away - there was an horrific storm in the North Sea and the loss of vessels and all hands in most cases was tremendous along the East Coast - 3 figures I think for vessels, all in one night but this was 1860ish.   
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 October 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Okay I give up on this one,his burial was at Christ church ,Tynemouth,

Offline 21dots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
I agree with Radcliff that it seems very unlikely that Edward died at sea.  This information was from an unknown source so cannot verify it.  He obviously survived the "Minerva" incident in May 1782, because his death was reported in the same paper 30 November 1782.
 The bond for £200 was borrowed from his brother and two others which he could not have repayed  before he died hence the Admin bond on his will for £400.  The Admin Bond tells us nothing other than his widow, her father and her brother were sworn as administrators.