Author Topic: Solomon Bolton /Restauranteaur/Scotland Street Kinning Park Glasgow  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Bolton /Restauranteaur/Scotland Street Kinning Park Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 February 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Alan.

David Lodge married Sarah Bolton in Glasgow in 1936. You can view their marriage certificate at modest cost at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (SP). It will tell you the full names of the couple's parents, icluding their mothers' maiden surnames.

Sarah Bolton or Lodge, mother's maiden surname Daly, died in Glasgow in 2004 aged 96. You won't be able to view this death certificate online because it's less than 50 years ago, but once things reopen after the coronavirus pandemic you can order a copy from SP, or you can find someone willing to go and transcribe it for you.

Solomon Bolton and Margaret MacMillan were married in Glasgow in 1892. You can also get their marriage certificate at SP, which will provide similar information to that of David Lodge and Sarah Bolton.

The 1901 census, which lists Solomon Bolton, wife Margaret, children Mary, Henry and Maggie, and cousin William McMillan, living in Govan. In 1911 they are in Plantation (Glasgow), with three more children: Solomon, Thomas and James.

A Francis Bolton was born in Hamilton in 1886. You can also view that birth certificate at SP.

In 1891 there is a family in Govan consisting of Mary Bolton, widow, 67; her son Solomon, 28; and her grandson Francis, 5. In 1901 there is a household in Plantation consisting of Henry Tranter, his wife Mary Ann, their daughters Elizabeth and Mary, his mother-in-law Mary Ann Bolton and his nephew Francis, aged 15.

You can also view the originals of all these census records at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AlanGuthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Forfarian,

Thank you for your prompt response. I had already downloaded many of the documents to which you refer. However, your pointer to Francis Bolton has resulted in many hours of research lasting into the “wee small hours of this morning” which has unearthed a very interesting family history. What I can now say on this post is that Solomon (Solly) Bolton, the chip shop restauranteur was my Great Grandad’s (Francis Bolton) Uncle and that Maggie Bolton in the previously posted previously was a cousin of Francis Bolton. I now know so much more of my family history than I would presently like to reveal on this page.

I’m not too sure of exactly how RootsChat works. It would be good if you could let me know your connection/involvement and how you were able to respond so quickly with the information so kindly provided. Is it possible to put a name against the Forfarian tag?

Thank you once again.

Alan Alexander Guthrie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I have no connection with the Bolton family as far as I know, and my interest is just to help people to find the answers to their questions.

As for how I was able to respond, it's just that I know my way around the relevant records. 

Do your Guthries have any connection to Brechin?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.