Author Topic: Poll Records, Hele Bridge, Stratton  (Read 1957 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Poll Records, Hele Bridge, Stratton
« on: Tuesday 22 October 13 01:45 BST (UK) »
I found two references:  one to Jewell's tenements and another to Spry's Titson.  The forme is Hele Bridge and the latter is Marhamchurch.  I have both Jewells and Sprys in that location.  John and Grace Jewell Spry were married in Marhamchurch and a son was born in Hele Bridge in 1858 - Henry Jewell Spry, 21 February.  What is Spry's Titson and what would Jewell's tenements have?  Are any remaining today?
thank you in advance!

Sharon K. Spry
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Poll Records, Hele Bridge, Stratton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether this was an earlier designation of what is called Budd's Titson now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titson

"Titson or Budd's Titson is a hamlet in the parish of Marhamchurch, Cornwall, England, UK."

Or whether Titson was the place, and Spry's was a property.

A map now shows Titson with Budds Farm as about the only feature. Might it have been Spry's farm in the past?

What you can see on satellite view at Google maps is this:

http://www.visitcornwall.com/accommodation/north-cornwall/bude/budds-barns-titson
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
It could have been Spry's at that time.  The census records show Richard Spry as an agricultural laborer in 1841.  Richard was the father of John Spry who married Grace Jewell in 1856.  Thank you so very much for the reply!

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
In 1881, which I can search by address at Anc'y, there are two farmers with the address Titson, Roadley with 150 acres and Marshall with 122 acres, and other families. The farms aren't named. Purely a guess, but I might think Spry's was one of them -- or it could be one of the other dwellings, maybe more likely if the person was an ag lab. Absolutely just guesses, since I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to know anything!

You're welcome. ;)

... Hmm, just did a bit more of a google.

http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/dserve/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Overview.tcl&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27marhamchurch%27%29&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=5

"Will of Thomas Titson Spry, blacksmith, of Marhamchurch"

Forgive these links ...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=X8RQAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA2-PA248&lpg=RA2-PA248&dq=%22spry%22+%22titson%22+%22cornwall%22&source=bl&ots=7m2drZIgZX&sig=tD9N_m6q6N-D0BT7ivW-Ga1N8yg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sUBoUuyFKsKc2gXc8oDYAQ&ved=0CGQQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=titson&f=false

search for Titson there, page 248, column on the lower right. I'm having a hard time making it out and it's fixing to crash my Firefox. 1855, The Law Times.

Manor or reputed Manor of East Orchard Marhays ...
Budd's Titson, occupied by Mr. W. Rogers
and a list of cottages, one of which has T. Spry as occupant, and there is also a Southland in Whitstone with Mr. T. Spry as occupant.

You might want to see whether you can figure out what it says alongside the columns under remarks. I can't!

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Leslieszoon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

Just joined this and found your messages about Titson & Budd's Titson and can help a little if you are still interested. I have read and done a graphic of the 1855 auction page from The Law Times. I have compiled a list of the owners of the 2 farms at Titson through the 19th century and into the 20th. I am happy to let you have these but can you upload documents here? There is an ' attachments ' tab but no idea how it works or if it's possible? I also have some photos and have been there a few times and have some contacts in the village that may help.

all the best
Laurence

Offline Lost Jewells

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
I realize this is a very old post but hope someone may still refer to it.
I am a descendant of the Jewell's from Titson Cottages.

John Jewell, born approx 1802, married Catherine Watts on March 30 1837 at Marhamchurch or at the Methodist church at Titson Cottages. Together they had three children at Titson before immigrating to Canada in approximately 1846.  Their British born children were Mary Ann, John Jr. and Catherine; all baptised at Titson.
The family left in 1846 to join John's brother (William Jewell) and his family having immigrated to Clarke Twp in Central Ontario Canada in approximately 1836.  William's family was last recorded at Holsworthy Parish Devon in 1834 with the birth of their oldest son Isaac.
The Grace Jewell mention in the earlier posts may have been a sister to John and William but I am not sure.   
I am trying to trace the earlier lineage of John and William Jewell but can not find any records.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wm Jewell (Canada) .