Author Topic: France: Smagge, Matton & Roseau  (Read 11878 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France: Smagge, Matton & Roseau
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Do you have their emigration to Australia? (1878 to Queensland on the Glamis, although only children listed with her are Marie and August - maybe Charles came separate).

Laurent's birth - 21 may 1825, father Jean Constant aged 34, same occupation as on Catherne's birth, mother Rufine Françoise Debusscher aged 43.  I'm guessing that due to Rufine's age they probably only had the two kids although there may be some Dehorter half-siblings from her earlier marriage.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chezza84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Yes i do have the immigration record, Louie and Charles where listed under Martin.

Thanks for the Translation too.

Offline Chezza84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Was wondering whether someone could help find and then translate the birth of Pierre Francois Louis Devos born 29/3/1921 in Bollezeele, im not have much luck understanding the french in the earlier births, im kinda flying blind, lol. just going page by page. Pierre is listed on Charles Matton Birth record as his first cousin.

Thanks

Edit Found him

Offline Chezza84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
Found him, could someone translate

Pierre Francois Louis Devos birth 1921 in Bollezeele page 107/1164

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
Bollezeele page 107/1164
26 May 1821
Birth registration Pierre Francois Louis Devos, born the previous day
Parents Pierre François Joseph Devos, 34, journalier (journeyman), residing Bollezeele born Cappellebrouck, and his wife Victoire Xavère Matton born & residing Bollezeele (doesn't give her age).
Witness Philippe Jacques Straseele, cultivateur, residing Bollezeele, 44, half-uncle by marriage of the newborn.
The other witness, Martin Devulder, not related. 

Just for the record, I saw 2 death registrations of Roseau children in Buysscheure, both belonging to Pierre François and his first wife:
4 Oct 1847, Ambroisine Reine Marie Roseau aged 2 (born Buysscheure 3 oct 1845)
16 Apr 1849, Victoire Delphine Roseau aged 7 (born Saint-Omer dépt. Pas de Calais 23 Jul 1841, p436/1397. Archives here http://www.archivespasdecalais.fr/Archives-en-ligne )

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 19:17 BST (UK) »
Do we want to trace the Smagges back a little? (Sorry if you didn't!! :P)

Ebblinghem church records
11 Jan 1791 (p285/323) christening of Jean Constant Smagge born the same day, posthumous son of Pierre Jean Smagge. Mother Pétronille Rosalie Thibeau. Godparents Pierre Jacques Smagge (the boy's uncle, who signs) and Louise Pétronille(?) Goddeliève(?) Smagge (the boy's aunt, who doesn't sign)

previous page
5 Jan 1791 burial Pierre Jean Smagge, husband of Pétronille Rosalie Thiebau, native of this parish. Died 2 days earlier, aged about 52. Presence of his brothers Jacques Smagge and Jean François Xavier Smagge (both sign).
Seems to me "Pierre Jacques" and "Jacques" Smagge are one and the same person => same signature 

Back to civil registration records for Rosalie's death:
7 Mar 1813, p489/961
Death registration Rosalie Thibaut (died 6 March), 66, spinner, widow of Pierre Smagge, born in Cassel, daughter of the late Jacques Thibaut and Rosalie Bogaert.

I'm adding the death of Pierre Jacques (Pierre Jean's brother) which occurred after the start of civil registration, to get their parents' names:
17 pluviose an 12 (7 Feb 1804), p307/961
Death registration Pierre Jacques Smagge, husband of Agnes Joly, farmer and mayor of Ebblinghem. Legitimate son of Jean Smagge and Marie Anne Germet

:)

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Chezza84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again to everyone that is helping, here's some internet flowers to say thanks.

Do we want to trace the Smagges back a little? (Sorry if you didn't!! :P)
I would love to trace as much of the family as possible.

Offline Chezza84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 October 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
I'm adding the death of Pierre Jacques (Pierre Jean's brother) which occurred after the start of civil registration, to get their parents' names:
17 pluviose an 12 (7 Feb 1804), p307/961
Death registration Pierre Jacques Smagge, husband of Agnes Joly, farmer and mayor of Ebblinghem. Legitimate son of Jean Smagge and Marie Anne Germet
Since Pierre Jacques Smagge was the Mayor of Ebblinghem, i wonder is this is the twist (IYKWIM) on the family story about being related to royalty, so not royal but still of great importance.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 October 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
OK, seems Pierre Jacques was Pierre Jean's half-brother:

6 Oct 1737 Ebblinhem, p719/1183
christening Pierre Jean Smagge, legitimate son of Jean François Smagghe and Marie Josyne Martens. Godparents François Pierre Sergneraet and Marie Petronelle Montel.

Burial Marie Josyne Marthens 20 Apr 1738 (p728), aged 26, wife of Jean François Smagghe. Presence husband Jean François Smagge (signs) and father Joos Marthens (signs)

Jean-François remarries soon after: 1 Jul 1738 (p731) Marriage Jean François Smagghe, 30, son of Matthieu Smagghe and Micheline Bodaert, widower of Marie Josyne Marthens to Marie Anne François Germet, aged 20.

I'm afraid of no ghost