Author Topic: William Fitzgerald and Nottingham b 1820 - 1828 exact DoB not known  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Fitzgerald and Nottingham b 1820 - 1828 exact DoB not known
« on: Wednesday 23 October 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Several of this man's descendants have tried over too many years to locate a birth place for him, according to his death record (Queensland) he was born in Nottingham and his father also William Fitzgeraldand allegedly a publican.   
I have searched extensively for even a hint of a credible birth record to no avail.    I am wondering if he may have had his details muddled as I am starting to think there may have been a hamlet or similar in Tasmania or NSW colonies c 1825 called Nottingham - like little Belfast in Victoria to later be renamed or Germantown in Brisbane now being called Nunda.
The second theory I have is that he was born William Thomas Fitzgerald 1 July 1826 in Tasmania to William Henry Fitzgerald and Harriet unknown, ref no. 2205.
Unfortunately, William Henry Fitzgerald died aged 25 on 23 Oct 1826.   On 18 June 1828 a Harriet Fitzgerald married a George Williams (potentially a convict from Nottingham).
I haven't found any offspring for this marriage so far, but have 2 records for a George Williams dying aged 57 in 1860 and another aged 40 in 1839, as well as a Harriet Williams died in 1880 aged 80.
Can anyone help me prove or disprove this connection for me please.    It has been a slow process of elimination of William Fitzgerald's.   It is amazing just how many men of the same name arrived into the colony from the late 1700's and early 1800's.   Both free men and convicts.
Abygail 
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Fitzgerald and Nottingham b 1820 - 1828 exact DoB not known
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
Could you please give us some possibilities for his date of birth?  How old was he when he died - as far as you know, anyway. Was he married?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest, unfortunately we don't have birthdate, although it is believed he was born c1826-1828.  There has been no positive birthdate or location although on his death record the birthplace is listed as Nottingham, and his father was allegedly a publican and also named William   He married in Queensland at Ipswich (25 Feb 1853) to Bridget King (an Irish Famine orphan).  We have been able to trace their offspring and much of where he travelled throughout the rest of his life with his family and where he was buried on the 30 Jun 1889 at Winton Qld.
William doesn't seem to exist prior to his marriage to Bridget.    From what we have been able to find he was never on the wrong side of the law and his children were all law abiding citizens, so no leads there.
As I had mentioned earlier, it has been a long process on elimination of William Fitzgerald's, and there are a lot of them.    If I'm right the ages of convicts that came in around the right time (mid 1830's allegedly) don't match.   The free settlers also seem to be out of sync age wise as well.   Which is why I'm exploring the William Fitzgerald b 1826 at New Norfolk to William and Harriet Fitzgerald, but where did William snr come from?
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 November 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I am no further along with this particular person, and am now working on a process of elimination.   
Does anyone claim this William Fitzgerald as theirs?   Originally from Co Clare, transported for insurrection with a brother Stephen Fitzgerald, on the Mindina c1823.   They served their time, somehow Stephen was able to return to his 'native country' and return with wife Mary and daughter Elizabeth Nov 1833  only to be in trouble after an incident outside 'The Spinning Wheel' Sydney, the publican being brother William Fitzgerald.   Result - Stephen along with 3 others are sentenced to 14 years for manslaughter and transported to VDL.   Within 12 months William is charged with receiving stolen cattle and get 7 years in VDL as well where he gets permission to marry, (Mary Burton - Midas) yet according to details in his convict record he was already married.  (I'm unclear as to the when and where this marriage accorded.)
So if this William is yours or Stephen I'd be grateful to cross this one off my list or work on finding out more about him.
If you already have your William Fitzgerald sorted would you mind sharing to basics of his arrival etc so I can eliminate them from my search.
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 December 13 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abygail, Stephen Fitzgerald - Medina - 1823 was granted a certificate of freedom on the 15th of April 1830. The certificate of freedom allowed convicts to seek work and / or leave the colony. This would explain how Stephen was able to return to his native country.
Anne
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 December 13 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Stephen Fitzgerald off the Medina received 7 years for insurrection so he could probably return home, if he had been given life in the Colony I don't think he could return.

Gerry

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 December 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry and Anne,
Re the Fitzgerald brothers (William and Stephen) you are both correct in regard to them being transported for insurrection (from Co Clare),  In researching these 2 I have learnt a bit more about the 'wonderful' legal system our ancestors were subjected too.   You are right, some were able to return to their native home.  Given what was happening in Ireland at that time little wonder they didn't stay - Australia was much more attractive, it seems they returned with their spouses and children - exactly how many I don't know.
From what I have found out about these 2 is that William had the licence for the Spinning Wheel for 1833-34 and Stephen must have thought he'd come back to heaven.  Only life wasn't that kind.  The end result was him being sent to VDL for manslaughter after a drunken brawl, William lost the licence and within 2 years he was also sent to VDL for cattle theft.
So far I have failed to find a son named William who could potentially be 'mine'.   There is a fair bit of information re these brothers in Trove and the NSW Archives so if they belong to a list reader you will be enthralled and amazed by their antics.   It is wonderful to find so much information about an ancestor but unfortunately I doubt they are mine.

The consistency of the story 'my' William was from Nottingham and his father being named William as well as being a publican is strong.   His wife Mary was from Co Galway and a proud supporter of a free Ireland.   I may be wrong but I feel that if William had been Irish she would have put that information on his death certificate.
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 January 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
After close to 5 years of not really feeling up to doing family history I am sufficiently motivated and healthy enough to resume.
With additional information becoming available in the past few years I have been able to revisit a potential candidate in regards to William Fitzgerald.   Had always thought he was a convict, arriving on the Bengal Merchant into NSW in 1838.  According to his records from the CCC he was born c 1810 and a native of Brighton..   Given he was 27 when arrested and charged he may  well have been living in the general Brighton area for some length of time.
After searching through birth records for Sussex without a convincing match I expanded my search finding a possible match with a William Fitzgerald being Christened at Saint Mary-St. Marylebone Road, Marylebone, London.  Not real close to Brighton I know but at the same time a possible candidate.  Parents are listed as William and Alice Fitzgerald, a brother John and a sister.  Can anyone confirm or positively deny this man as the one I am looking for please.
WF ex Bengal Merchant obtained his Pardons and Ticket of Leave at Scone NSW in 1848.    There are a few William Fitzgerald who married within the Sydney region and Wollongong and 'my' William married at Ipswich, Qld in 1853.  Do I have the right man or is he someone else's ancestor?
I know Brighton is a long way from Nottingham but given the creativity I have seen in regard to 'covering tracks' for where someone has come from this one is fairly mild.
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 02:45 GMT (UK) »
A few updates, regarding William Fitzgerald.
1. Seriously doubt he was born in Nottingham, England.  Ha may have been there at some time but
    nought on the Census returns.
2. According to one record found he was 57 in 1877, grey haired, medium build, blue eyes, sallow
    complexion and 5' 7" tall.  Still from England.
3.  He died in 1889 at Winton, leaving his widow, Bridget nee King (Irish Famine girl)
4.  He had several licences issued of the years as a timber cutter, hawker and auctioneer.
5. Appeared to have been basically a hard working law abiding man, who owned land at various
    places and provided for his family.
6. No where in any of the advertising for permits etc. is there any mention of him being a convict.
7.  Have eliminated WF Bengal Merchant as it is very difficult to be in two places at the same time.  Scone area and Ipswich/Toowoomba areas aren't that close together with a new wife in tow.
  Abygail