Author Topic: Where did Arthur Wilcoxon go ?  (Read 14999 times)

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Arthur Wilcoxon go ?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 October 13 06:13 BST (UK) »
I think I am having a bad hair day, now I am totally confused  ??? :P

My understanding of Annette's original post is that she is looking for what happened to Arthur Wilcoxon, son of Thomas Wilcoxon. Arthur married Mary ?

I have found a marriage of Arthur Wilcoxon to Mary Rae. With further searching I have found that Annette already knew this.

So if we go by Annette's original post and information, we are looking for Arthur Wilcoxon married to Mary Rae.

Now, Annette, has provided details that claim Mary is a widow in 1881, 1891 & 1901 living in Wales, Yorkshire and Lincoln. That tells me that Arthur has died, likely in the UK. Mary was 45 in 1901 so she may very well have moved away. I am finding it had to believe that the Arthur in Australia is him. It could be, I'm just not yet convinced.

Please, I am in no way disputing the other information provided, I am merely trying to establish the disappearance of Arthur, son of Thomas so that I am not looking for the wrong family.

;D :D

Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 October 13 06:18 BST (UK) »
Online tree for Margaret Jane Wilcoxon: http://www.geni.com/people/Margaret-Stein/6000000015865963953

Again, I personally would be getting my hands on that marriage of Margaret to Thomas Stein, at least then that would seemingly tie in all the Australian related posts provided.

:D
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 October 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
 ???
I thought the posting was all about Arthurs disapearance,
I suspect Margaret was born before the marriage of Arthur and Mary Elizabeth,

I have some limited acces to records .so shall percevere with additional information,and Wilcoxon can either use it or discard it,

Section c grave 5 ,New Liverpool Presbyterian Church Liverpool,

Thomas Sydney Wilcoxon and his mother Mary Elizabeth are buried together,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 October 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning.  :)  Thank you all.
Agreed , this is all about Arthur. I am inclined to think he did a "runner" with the barmaid Mary Elizabeth Lindop.  His death has been searched for for years. I have gone  through every Arthur beginning with W in this country  and found nothing remotely similar to the Wilcoxon name. 1877 /1882
His wife left their son with her parents and took a job as a housekeeper. She worked for some  good families.
These are my notes on Arthur.

1838: July 1838 Baptism Record. St John the Baptist. Chester. Arthur son of Thomas and Ellen Wilcoxon Foregate St Soap Boiler

1841 Census. Foregate St. Chester. Thomas Wilcoxon age 35. Soap Boiler. Ellen Wilcoxon Age 30. Harriet Age 8. Thomas Age 5. Arthur Age 3. Ann Wilcoxon Age 70 Ind. All of this county except Thomas and Ann

1851 Census: At school boarding in Farndon. Arthur Wilcoxon aged 12. Born Chester City

1864. Morris and Co Directory. Wilcoxon and sons. Grocers and Chandlers. The Cross and Bridge Street.
Also Thomas and Arthur Wilcoxon Grocers and Chandlers. Eastgate St and Bridge St. h. Bold Sq

1865. Post Office Directory of Cheshire. Wilcoxon and Sons. Grocer and Tea Dealer. 123 Bridge St and 89 Eastgate St. Chester

1868. April Abode: 122 Bridge St. Chester. Source. Marriage register

National Archives Website Dissolution of Partnership DJWW/619 1869 22nd Nov
Contents:
1) Thomas Wilcoxon, the elder, grocer & chandler
2) Arthur Wilcoxon & Thomas Wilcoxon, the younger, grocer, chandler and wine merchants, all of the City of Chester.
'Thomas Wilcoxon & Sons', Chester.

23rd February 1871. Residence 122 Bridge Street. Chester.
Spirit Merchant
Source. Birth Certificate of his son Charles Herbert

1871 Census: Bridge St Row. Chester. Wine   Vault
Arthur Wilcoxon   31Head. Married. Publican Born Chester   
Mary Wilcoxon    28. Married. Born Scotland   
Mary E Lindop 22. Barmaid. Born Kiddington Cheshire   
Elizabeth Davies    15 Servant. Born Chester   
Richard Hodgson Barman   17 Born Puddington. Cheshire   

1874 Morris & Cos Directory. Arthur Wilcoxon. Wine and Spirits Vaults. 57 Bridge Street and Bridge Street Row. Chester
1874 Directory and Gazeteer of Cheshire. As above

Arthur Wilcoxon was the publican at the Olde Vaults, Bridge St. Chester, from 1871 to at least 1875. By 1877 he had moved to 9 Paradise Row.
Kellys Post Office Directory. Cheshire. Date? Arthur Wilcoxon. 9 Paradise Row. Chester

No trace of Arthur after 1877.
Had died by 1881 as his wife Anne was registered in census as widow ????
1881 Census: his son Arthur was living with his grandmother Annie Rae and aunts in Hope, Flintshire
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 October 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Online tree for Margaret Jane Wilcoxon: http://www.geni.com/people/Margaret-Stein/6000000015865963953

This has Arthur Wilcoxon as father, but no mother named.

I have noticed that there is nothing earlier than Arthur Wilcoxon in these trees, so presumably the tree owners have not found anything either.

Are there any Australian  census records that may help ?
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 October 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Margaret's death registration records the father as Arthur  http://tinyurl.com/paop286
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 October 13 11:12 BST (UK) »
There is a probate packet for Mary Elizabeth Wilcoxon.  http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=\Item\579331
I can photograph it for you in a  week or so. 

Mary Elizabeth Wilcoxon's funeral notice http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17329738

WILCOXON.-The Relatives and Friends of Mr. and Mrs. THOS. STEIN and FAMILY, of Smlthfield. Miss ANNIE WILCOXON. and the late Mr.T. S. WILCOXON. Mr. and Mrs. WALTER WILCOXON, of Kogarah. Mr. and Mrs. OTTO WOODWARD, of Park-road, Liverpool, and Mr. HUGH WATT are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their late beloved MOTHER. GRANDMOTHER and esteemed FRIEND, Mary Elizabeth Wllcoxon: to leave  etc ...

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 October 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Death of Walter Louis Wilcoxon in 1948 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article29762432 (son of Arthur and Mary)

Probate packet available http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=\Item\757725

One of Walter's sons, Keith fought in second world war http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=4599424
(photo on page 15 - any family resemblance?)

regards,
   Ros
adding : Keith Crannon Wilcoxon died 17 Dec 1990 http://ryersonindex.net/search.php and Clive Arthur Wilcoxon died 16 Jan 1956.  (can send these death notices too)

adding : possibilities for one of the grandsons in whitepages http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27517799
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 October 13 12:13 BST (UK) »
Margaret Jane Stein died 13 April 1967.
Sydney Morning Herald 14 April 1967

STEIN Margaret Jane - April 13 (in hospital) late of Smithfield, beloved wife of the late Thomas Stein loved mother and mother-in-law of E and L, L and B, A and G, A and A, F and H,devoted grandmother and great grandmother of the children aged 94 (?) years.  At rest

If you pm me your e-mail address I will send it to you - it's a bit fuzzy.

cheers,
   Ros