Author Topic: Throwing out the 1881 census - downsizing sadness  (Read 1585 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Throwing out the 1881 census - downsizing sadness
« on: Wednesday 23 October 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
No, I am not making the outlandish suggestion to do away with the 1881 census!

We are downsizing and moving.  I have placed my copy of the 1881 census in the throwout pile.  You know the one with the discs nicely packaged by the LDS.  I know & still use the free online record.  But I still remember the excitement when the 1881 census transcription was being released and then we could buy for home use the entire census.  As most of my family migrated about this time, the 1881 census showed me my family either before they migrated or those relatives left behind.

But life moves on, luckily the memories stay.  Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing out the 1881 census - downsizing sadness
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
I still have my set of discs gazania, although they have been unused for years.  I remember the excitement vividly of using them and the thrill of finding one of mine, although I remember there was a lot of switching discs in and out, and lots of PC 'thinking time' whilst it clunked through the process of finding my ancestors.  It was like a bit of magic from the past when their details appeared on the screen.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 October 13 00:17 BST (UK) »
Maggie, there was magic, including the clunking computer, when I saw my beloved grandfather as a teenager living with his family. My computer savvy kids and teenage grandkids gathered around to help this Grandma with the computer search -  a cyber family connection.

Must move on and throw out some more stuff. Gazania

ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 13 01:03 BST (UK) »
Gazania - I remember getting into a state of great panic when after much clunking and whirring one of the discs got stuck and the CD drawer refused to open.  We take CDs for granted nowadays but back then it seemed much more of a hit or miss affair as to whether they would work or not.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 October 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I still use mine to access the Scottish 1881 census.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 November 13 04:49 GMT (UK) »
I cant see the point in discarding these as they take up so little room.
Mine have not been used for years and I shall not throw them out because I know that they are *There* should I ever need them.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 November 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I know things must change and the world moves on, but to be honest, I much preferred the 'old style' online IGI and British 1881 census and US and Canadian 1880 census. SO easy to search.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline Kennington

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I know things must change and the world moves on, but to be honest, I much preferred the 'old style' online IGI and British 1881 census and US and Canadian 1880 census. SO easy to search.
so do I  :-[
I can't use the new LDS site at all. I much preferred the old version. So I don't go there at all now.
Similarly, Ancestry. It's very good with the hints, but somehow its too easy - I used to enjoy the thrill of the chase, but just a click and they do it all for you. Is it just me?
Searching:<br />DASH - Cornwall ;STEPHENS - Anglesey / Holyhead ;KELLY - Whitehaven / Liverpool ;CARRICK - Wigton, Cumberland ;FARISH - Cumberland ;MASON - Ipswich ;FISK - Suffolk ;PRIEST - Suffolk & SW London ;HAWKS - London & Thetford, Norfolk
SMITHERS - London ;RIDGWELL - Norfolk ;ELSTON - London ;APPLEBY- London