Author Topic: Osla Ballentyne (Ballenden) - South Walls  (Read 5332 times)

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Osla Ballentyne (Ballenden) - South Walls
« on: Friday 25 October 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm trying to find details of Osla Ballentyne (Ballenden) who was married to Henry Sutherland (born 1754) and lived in South Walls. The only details I have are that she died in 1838 aged 86 - I can't find a marriage or birth record. The name Osla is a mystery. Is this an Orkney forename? I have found an Ursilla Ballenden born 1757 in Orphir - is Osla a corruption of Ursilla?

Thanks, J   

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Osla Ballentyne (Ballenden) - South Walls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Interesting one. www.whatsinaname.net does not include this variant but I did a quick web check and came up with several instances in Shetland of people called Osla/Ursula - see http://tobarandualchais.com/fullrecord/31391/1/LuckyDip for example.

You will also find online snippets from The Home of a Naturalist (1890) by Biot Edmondston, Jessie Margaret Edmondston Saxby, including this piece:

"Norse proper names seem to have gone through a most ingenious process of alteration at the font. Breeta, or Brenda, became Bertha; Olaf changed into Oliver... Osla, sweet sounding and doubtless the property of sweet lasses, was transformed into bearish Ursula;"

Orphir is one of the parishes with which I would associate the surname Ballantine so the 1757. Are the parents' names for that baptism reflected in the names Osla gave her own children, not that this would be an infallible guide?

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your info. Two of Osla's children have Ursila's parents' names but I have found that the Scottish naming practice at that time was not followed in Orkney with my ancestors.

Regards J

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 18:10 BST (UK) »
HI Jiesy,

I also descend from Hugh Sutherland and Osla Ballentyne (Ballenden) from their daughter Margaret Sutherland who married Edward Robertson.  I have someplace in my records, the possible birth location for Osla.  I think you may be onto something with the name Ursilla.  But I haven't found anything to verify that.  You mentioned that there are other children of Hugh and Osla.  Could you list them? I haven't had much luck finding them.  Thanks! 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Jenn (Robertson) Linn

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Familysearch website gives the following children of Henry Sutherland and Osla Ballentine, all born in Walls and Flotta parish: Adam 1779, James 1781, Margaret 28 Dec 1783, Isabella 1786, Helen 1788, Jean 1789, Henry 1792, Samuel 1794, Elspet 1797 and John 1799.

Henry Sutherland was born 1754 to William Sutherland and Marion Cromarty. I believe Osla was born Ursilla Ballenden in 1757 to James Ballenden and Margaret Sabiston in Orphir parish.

Regards, J