Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??  (Read 43015 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??
« on: Friday 04 October 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Following my previous post (No. 487) I have been looking at the database, and there seem to be 3 entries for Alexander STEIN, which seem to be for the same man and could perhaps be combined.  Also I can offer some additional information, but not being the original submitter, think I cannot do this - Histres, can you do this? :)

Name should be Christian Alexander STEIN, dob 19 January 1858, Kunzelsau, death 23 May 1934, Castleford, WRY.  Parents:  Johann Christof STEIN, dob 26 September 1819 Kunzelsau, death 6 November 1874, Occupation:  Bookbinder.  Susanna Sofie Margarethe BREITINGER dob 13 November 1820 Kunzelsau, death 18 October 1893 Kunzelsau.

Places of abode:  1 = Kunzelsau, 2 = Bradford WRY 1881 Census, working for STEEGE, 3 =  1882-1911 Carlton Street, Castleford, WRY, 4 = Monk Fryston, WRY, 5 = Leake Street, Castleford, WRY.

Comments:  Photographs available for Christian Alexander STEIN, Margaret HAFFNER, Johann Christof STEIN, Susanna BREITINGER.

I would like to be listed as a Researcher for this family, but do not know how to do this.  Am finding the website quite difficult to navigate initially, but hopefully will get the hang of it in time!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help - Helen

Hi Helen,

I've added the details from records #809 and #810 to #811 and deleted the first two.

To become a "researcher" just look in the page view for Christian Alexander Stein and near the bottom of his information page, click on the "Add me to researchers" button.*

We have had (are having ?) a discussion about who can edit information
(see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454 )
but this hasn't been resolved, so for now, just ask me or the submitter (as you have done here) and one of us can edit it for you.

regards,
Bob

*http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-quick-search.php?dbsig_num=1&letter=S&view=811
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Haichem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bob.  No more time today, but will try and compile some add-ons for the Haffners tomorrow, and will try the Researcher link also.  Going out to play now!  Helen
England:  Castle, Darling, Ford,Oxley, Phillips (Yorkshire), Featherstone (Barnstaple), Turton (Wolverhampton)
Scotland (Stonehaven):  Phillips/Philps, Park
Germany, Baden-Wurttemberg:  Stein (Kunzelsau), Haffner (Hohebach), Rummler (Belsenberg), Rubmann, Breitinger

Offline Haichem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 October 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
Bob - Thanks for your editing of the Stein entry No. 811.  I tried clicking on the Researcher button to enter my name, but all that comes up is a blank screen saying:

dbsig-num is not set

Can you interpret please?  Playing out is too much fun, so the Haffners may have to wait until holiday over and back in the UK!

Helen

England:  Castle, Darling, Ford,Oxley, Phillips (Yorkshire), Featherstone (Barnstaple), Turton (Wolverhampton)
Scotland (Stonehaven):  Phillips/Philps, Park
Germany, Baden-Wurttemberg:  Stein (Kunzelsau), Haffner (Hohebach), Rummler (Belsenberg), Rubmann, Breitinger

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 October 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I think I know what the problem is - was ?
Enjoy your holiday, and then please try it again and let me know if it works.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 October 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Also I can offer some additional information, but not being the original submitter, think I cannot do this - Histres, can you do this? :)

Hello Helen,
I realize that you can offer much more data on the Steins than I can. You're a family member whereas I am only a researcher of the German pork butcher emigration movement as a whole. So my suggestion is: Save all the data that I submitted as long as they can be added to your information. Then begin a new entry for Alexander Stein. As soon as you have begun yours as a researcher, I will delete my entry to avoid a double designation. Should I come across new information, I will contact you by personal message that you can update your entry. Will that be ok for you?

Best wishes
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 October 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob

I do appreciate the fact that you are having discussions on who may or may not have access to the database to add / alter entries. However, during my searches for other and my own PBs, I frequently come across names, often mis-transcribed, but for me usually "nachvollziehbar". Sometimes I'm searching for someone, find him/her, and would like to add this to the database (quickest method) but not possible. My first port of call is obviously the PB database but, if I find the name but realise something could be added or altered, I'm stumped. This means I would have to save it to my PC. Here, it will remain until eternity maybe. If I'm run down by a bus here this will be lost for ever.

A temporary measure (in my mind) would be to start a thread for PB corrections? Here, one could note quickly maybe person one had found with corrections.

It would be the responsibility of those who have entered PBs to regularly read the thread and alter  or maybe make contact with the finder. This way I can forget it and move on.

After you have all made up your minds on what you think is feasible, the thread could be deleted or integrated?

The database in my mind will otherwise become stalemate and this would be a sad outcome for your immense work in setting up the database and a sad day for PB descendants.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 October 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
so if I am run over by a bus tomorrow, or even today, no one can change/add to what I have put into the database? a good point and I have no idea what the answer is.   I look forward to some very ingenious answers!

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 October 13 14:35 BST (UK) »
so if I am run over by a bus tomorrow, or even today, no one can change/add to what I have put into the database? a good point and I have no idea what the answer is.   I look forward to some very ingenious answers!

Hi Vanny

Don't take it too literally  ;D

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
I do appreciate the fact that you are having discussions on who may or may not have access to the database to add / alter entries.

Hello all,
I also see the difficulties, when only one person has access to the database to add or alter entries.
Of course it would be the easiest way to open the entries for everybody to do any kind of changes ar add supplements. This would enable other persons to bring in their contributions as quickly as possible.
However, this procedure would open all entries to misuse. Anyone could goof around in other people's family data. Although I don't suspect anyone of doing this as we are all acting in concert, I think some kind of inhibition level should be there to be overcome, just some item of control.
Therefore SwissGill's idea points into the right direction. Why not introduce a field, in which supplements can be filled in by everybody and on the cover page it is indicated which number, name and submitter/researcher the new information refers to. This way every submitter can immediately see if there are some additional data he/she should insert. (I hope you understand what I mean despite my clumsy English :))

Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland