Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??  (Read 42939 times)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I think it is about time that all the pork butcher descendants come forward and further what they think is important to put in the database.

No one is expecting anyone to give technical details. But Bob needs feedback. Whatever you feel would be important to register - then do so. Bob can work with this.
Haichem's success is exemplary. I found her on Ancestry, told her about Rootschat.com, she posted. Histres found her post and the answer is that she found her ancestors in Germany.

This doesn't need to be a "one-off".

We could all help each other but a certain amount of work is necessary.

Don't let this opportunity slide. It would be such a pity. There is no such "network" on the Internet as this.

Here we have a "community" and, a contact to Germany.

Please don't disappoint me.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Bob,

This thread was meant to be about "Who can change it"

Please forgive my ramifications and attend to the matter in hand.

Creeping back under my toadstool!!

Gill

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill,

No problems :)

- because "Who can change it?" also depends on what the goals of the database are.

So come back out from under your toadstool !

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 December 13 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob, I've come back from under my toadstool!!

I'm still waiting for answers - whether with constructive ideas how to further the database, or just willingness to support same.

Please, reply whether you are for or against the database and, if against, please give your reasons for changes.

Please, don't ignore this - it is good but could be better.

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 March 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I am new to this forum.  While I pride myself in being computer literate I am struggling to navigate the messaging system within Rootschat and the Pork Butcher forum specifically.  Any pointers are appreciated.

I have benefited from the posting and database entries of Histres on Heinrich Freidrich Ebert and posted what I thought was a reply to his attention.  I am not sure this happened as planned as it appears a new chat forum was created.  Hopefully he will find it.

Anyways, I have found what I think will be additions to your Pork Butcher database and family connections between the Dorrmenz born Ebert family and the Weidner families, as well as the Gehringer family but need some guidance on how to best do this.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jim
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)
Places: Dörrmenz, Bächlingen, Lensiedel, Gerabronn, Kirchberg an der Jagst

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 March 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I am not sure this happened as planned as it appears a new chat forum was created.  Hopefully he will find it.
Seems to have worked out OK, your reply can be seen on the German Pork Butchers topic .
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=408853.0
This is an open forum and Histres is just one of the contributors there, so don't be surprised if other members also answer your queries :)

At the moment if you find members of your families in the database, you need to contact the contributor, by PM and they can add more details to the database.  This topic here is a discussion about how we might improve on this, with - as a possibility - "Researchers" being able to add to records from other "Submitters".  We still haven't reached a decision :(

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 March 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob,

Thanks for the welcome.  Histres has been in contact and I am composing an answer.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions for additional data fields in the PB database but feel this is not the correct discussion forum.  Do you have a discussion forum for this?

For what it is worth, I was a database man before I retired and your discussion is an age-old discussion.  To ensure the integrity of a database it is necessary to control the input of the data to a limited number of people, otherwise a database gets "dirty" rather quickly.

I am in favour of a system that sees "research assistants" funnelling their input through the "researchers" for the additional process of verification.  A timeline should be in place to ensure the extra information is either included as fact, included as probable, or rejected as unverifiable.  The contacted researcher can decide if they have the time to process the input and if not forward the file to another researcher, advising the "research assistant".

Jim
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I would like to make a couple of suggestions for additional data fields in the PB database but feel this is not the correct discussion forum.  Do you have a discussion forum for this?
Here is a more general discussion topic for the GPB database.:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=613454.0

At the moment we have "Submitters" who submit data, and "Researchers" who are researching their family and links.  Sometimes the "Researcher" is also the "Submitter". Perhaps we need a better name for "Researchers", because Histres (for example) is submitting lots of names and data he has researched, but is not actually researching his family..

regards,
Bob

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Bob,

I am starting to get the hang of wondering around the PB database and concur with the "researcher" vs "Submitters" dilemma as I have and still do find it a bit confusing.  I have added myself to the Researchers category for Heinrich Friedrich Ebert, but fail to see what this does for me as I cannot seem to add information.  I presume it is locked by Histres as he is the creator of the DB entry.  Am I correct?

It would be clearer to me if "Submitter" was renamed as ID Creator and Researcher renamed Research Submitters (Family Affiliated Submitters).  Further, without impacting the "ID Creators" entries, if an additional data field entitled "Research Submitter Comments & Sources" for each researcher would be of interest, and allow Research Submitters to add their research details.  The creator and/or you could then determine it's permanent inclusion.

Comments?
Jim