Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??  (Read 43049 times)

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I just used the new Request to Edit button in PB entry Karl Buck and as far as I can tell nothing happened after clicking the button.  Did I misread your instructions, or should a PM message session have appeared?

As you know, limeshouse79 has sent me detailed additions/edits for all of their entries as I offered to assist with their data entry (a total of 29 PBs).  When done limehouse79's entries will be well fleshed out with details and will be much more useful to all researchers using the PB database.

Hi SwissGill ... I am the culprit when Berlin-Bob indicated a certain someone requested edit arrangements for a large volume!  My intentions are good and honorable  ;D ... As for edits, as long as submitters cooperate, I would actually prefer the more cautious path that still required submitter approval for edits over extra data fields for researcher comments.  The approval process requires a level of proofing of the edits & additions which have value in protecting the integrity of the database.  Verification of research is a good thing.

Arky101

Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)
Places: Dörrmenz, Bächlingen, Lensiedel, Gerabronn, Kirchberg an der Jagst

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Click on this and send the Submitter a PM with details of the the record(s) you wish to edit. (i.e. reasons why !)
S/he can then 'edit' the record(s) and click on the new button "Allow to Edit"

I am trying to figure out a way of sending a PM automatically ("XYZ has requested to edit a record you have submitted."), but I can't do it at the moment.

You need to send the Submitter a PM, so s/he can allow you to edit.
Maybe "Allow to edit" should read "allow 'wannabe Editor' to Edit"
I've edited the text - hopefully this now clearer:
S/he can then go to 'Edit record' and in each record click on the new button "Allow to Edit" to allow the 'wannabe Editor' to also edit this record.

I've now thought of a possible method of opening a PM window when you click on "Request to Edit" (still needs testing), but I still don't know how to create a text within the window and send it automatically.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Just to clarify how I understand the process:
1. It is the Submitter (ie: the original creator of the PB record) that uses the Allow to Edit button.
2. An Allow to Edit button will appear each time an additional Researcher is added to a particular PB, so that the submitter will see multiple Allow to Edit buttons if there are multiple researchers attached to that PB record.
3. A Researcher must add themself to each PB record that they are wishing to get editing priveledges.

Am I correct in the process?

Also, how does a Submitter turn off the allow to edit should they no longer wish a Researcher to edit a PB record?

Arky101
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
1. It is the Submitter (ie: the original creator of the PB record) that uses the Allow to Edit button.
2. An Allow to Edit button will appear each time an additional Researcher is added to a particular PB, so that the submitter will see multiple Allow to Edit buttons if there are multiple researchers attached to that PB record.
3. A Researcher must add themself to each PB record that they are wishing to get editing priveledges.

Am I correct in the process?

Spot on :)

Also, how does a Submitter turn off the allow to edit should they no longer wish a Researcher to edit a PB record?
Once someone has been allowed to edit, the submitter will see a second button: "Remove editor", where the editor(s) can then be removed.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 01 May 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
Jim, I am not worried by your PMs. What I would have liked is an open discussion so that all PB descendants could partake. Whether this would have happened, or not, I hesitate to guess.

What I would like is Histres' idea of a box where one could place a short message, i.e. the actual birth place in Germany - the most important factor - in my opinion. Is this still an option?? It stands to reason that one would give details to verify this.

As for a "free-for-all", I think we are all responsible adults and this would not be an issue.

If nothing more transpires, I will maintain my original method of contacting the descendant and discussing the information I have found. I do not only research for my own tree, I research descendants of the Hohenlohe Region and do not just "root around".

I admit it is difficult, especially, for Bob, as nobody seems inclined to offer an opinion but between computer experts and users there is often a very wide gap that should be consulted and, obviously, if nothing forthcoming then, the computer experts have no choice but to go ahead with their ideas.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 03 May 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
I have now added some instructions for "Request to Edit", "Allow to Edit" and "Remove Editor" to the Help-pages:

Request to Edit:
Quick Search: http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-help.php?dbsig_num=1&show=qs#qs

Add Editor, Remove Editor:
Edit record: http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/dbsig-help.php?dbsig_num=1&show=er#er

Please let me know here if it is understandable.

regards,
Bob

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 03 May 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Berlin-Bob,

I have followed the instruction links, and the Request to Edit button is identified and located, but neither of the instruction links indicate where to find the Allow to Edit or Remove Editor button.  I think that you previously indicated only the "Submitter" sees the Allow to Edit or Remove Editor buttons, so as the "Researcher" I am unable to guide limehouse79 to the location of these buttons.

I do have a question.  What exactly does the Request to Edit button do?  Does it notify you, the administrator, that additional people want to edit a record?  I guess my question/concern is that "Researchers" see nothing happen when the button is clicked, which can confuse the user.  I do know that I did expect something to happen or change when I clicked on the button.  If there is a definitive purpose for the button could I suggest a brief message be posted after clicking the button that tells the user what just happened and what they need to do next?

Thanks for continuing to work on these changes.  cheers ... arky101

Offline limehouse79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 03 May 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Berlin-Bob
Arky101 has very kindly said he will enter some data for me on my 'interests' on the PB database.  Reading the helpful hints re this, could you confirm that it is Arky101 who has to request me to allow him to do this, as I can't see how I can confirm that I am happy for him to update my names from my side of the database.
Limehouse79
Dünger, Burkert, Diez, Wolfarth, Ellinger, Rathmann, Saile (Germany) and Webb, Pearce, Chegwidden, Trevethan and Bailey (Cornwall)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 03 May 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Arky,

Quote from: ark101
I do have a question.  What exactly does the Request to Edit button do? 
Clicking on the "Request to Edit" button automatically causes the user's name to be entered in a list which the submitter should then see, when they edit the record.

The instruction links are
1) Help page for "Quick search" and
2) Help page for "Edit a record"
I've edited my previous post to reflect this.

If there is a definitive purpose for the button could I suggest a brief message be posted after clicking the button that tells the user what just happened and what they need to do next?
Yes, I agree: I'll add some text ...(but not right now)

Hi Limehouse,

If arky101 has made a "request to edit" then you should see the name 'arky101' in the drop-down list of people who have requested editing facilities.

Conversely, if you see the user name 'arky101' in the "Add editor"  list, then it can only be here, because arky101 (and no one else) has clicked on "Request to Edit".

Bob