Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??  (Read 43022 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ??
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 04 May 14 09:33 BST (UK) »

If there is a definitive purpose for the button could I suggest a brief message be posted after clicking the button that tells the user what just happened and what they need to do next?
Yes, I agree: I'll add some text ...(but not right now)

Now added: Once you have clicked on the "Request to Edit" button you will only see this text:
[You have made a request to edit this record.]
(Sorry, but there is no automatic notification.
 Please inform the Submitter by PM )

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 04 May 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
I'm adding a comment from a PM here, as it is also a general question:
However, I reviewed my additions today and noticed that all of my CR/LF are gone and the information is all "shmucked" together and more difficult to read.  Do you know what has happened?  I did have the information nicely laid out previously.

Is this happening to others ?
If so, are you using Windows or Linux ?

One thought that occurs to me is that the 2 operating systems handle 'Newlines' differently.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 04 May 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I use Windows 7.0.

Just to clarify, the record and my edits were OK a couple of weeks ago.  The database displayed my information as I had typed it and formatted it.  It was only last week that I noticed the change and the absence of CR/LFs from my formatting.  This "reformatting" seemed to occur around the same time of our discussions about the 1000 character limit on the Comments field, the number of characters used by creating links to other PBs, and the increase of 1000 characters to 1200 characters.  Hope this extra info helps diagnosis.

arky101
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)
Places: Dörrmenz, Bächlingen, Lensiedel, Gerabronn, Kirchberg an der Jagst

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 04 May 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Me again regarding the CR/LF issue.  I think the problem has only occurred with the 1 record you gave me edit privileges for ... PB:1726, RATHMANN, Christian.  I checked the PB records I created as "Submitter" and the formatting is still as I entered it for these.

I suggest this may be a one off "Voodoo Magic" occurrence.  I will do a "Request to Edit" to limehouse79 for this record and reformat the text.  We can then watch if it is perhaps an unexpected "feature" of "Researcher" vs "Submitter" edits.

When I was working in IT I had a quote posted on my white board as a reminder to programmers and data analysts ... "Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious"  ;D In other words, who knows what combination of keystrokes and mouse clicks were used to get me from formatted to un-formulated ... perhaps the easiest task is to let me reformat the text, keep an eye on it, and move on.

arky101
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 04 May 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
"Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious"
Right on !!

I was translating manually to HTML newlines, but I'm now using the nl2br() function,
in the hopes that that will pick up on Windows/Linux differences.

I'll leave it at that for now and wait and see what happens.

Bob

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 05 May 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I have a request.  I am now successfully assisting limehouse79 edit and add info for their PB records.  Once I enter the info I like to flip back to the actual display record to proof my work and formatting.

In the Edit display screen with the listing of PBs one can edit, would it be possible to get the record display icon embedded to the left of the PB name to more easily go to this display with a single click?  Right now I go back to Quick Search, select the letter, find the PB, and then click on the icon to display the record.  Once I proof it, if I need to make changes (I usually need to), I then must select Edit, display my PB edit list, and start the process over again ....

Any chance this is a quick fix or addition?

Arky101

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 05 May 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Arky,

I'll look into it.

regards,
Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 08 June 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
New input field:  Readers Comments

In the previous discussion we were presented with two points of view concerning changes to the database.

1) the submitter should allow selected users to edit existing records.

2) users should be able to add comments, which the submitter can then integrate in the record.

After programming the first variation, I have now decided to try out the second variation, too.

Logged-on users can now add their comments to individual records in the "Page view" and submitters can then move all or parts of these comments to the appropriate data field in their records (and delete the original 'reader's comment').

Please note that there is no automatic notification of comments: if you have added a comment, please send the submitter a comment to let him know.

Some may say, "but then you can send the comment in a PM and so you don't need this field.", but maybe it's easier this way for some. We'll see how it goes.  If this variation results in spam or unsuitable comments, I can always delete it again.

Enjoy,
Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 08 June 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I have a request.  I am now successfully assisting limehouse79 edit and add info for their PB records.  Once I enter the info I like to flip back to the actual display record to proof my work and formatting.

In the Edit display screen with the listing of PBs one can edit, would it be possible to get the record display icon embedded to the left of the PB name to more easily go to this display with a single click?  Right now I go back to Quick Search, select the letter, find the PB, and then click on the icon to display the record.  Once I proof it, if I need to make changes (I usually need to), I then must select Edit, display my PB edit list, and start the process over again ....

Any chance this is a quick fix or addition?

Arky101

Hi Arky,

it's a bit complicated, but an easier solution might be to add a "preview" button to the input form, so that the page view is shown, and then the edit form again.

Would this help ?

regards,
Bob