Author Topic: Triple bigamist or what?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Triple bigamist or what?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 October 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
Young Jacob makes good, though, as Ancestry has a number fo certificates for his progress from mate to ship's master between 1891 (based in Liverpool) and 1895 (South Shields)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 October 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janey and Mabel.    Yes, I had followed Jacob's progress from naughty boy to master mariner, and was delighted to see it!    As for the newspaper entries, they look really interesting and I will have a look at those.   It's wonderful to find that sort of detail.  I wonder if poor old Jacob Jnr went off the rails a bit when his Dad disappeared off the scene, for whatever reason.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 October 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Sarah WESTLAKE Baptised , 23 October 1814, St Gregory, Seaton, Beer, Devon
Parents THOMAS/AGNESS
Fathers Occp Fisherman
(Source FreeREG)

Thomas WESTLAKE Married Agnes HEARD, 08 January 1801, Seaton and Beer, Devon
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Trish :)

1861 Census Agnes Westlake is born c 1777 and a Widow. But I cant find her 1841/1851

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 October 13 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that one, Trish.    Looks like I have picked up the wrong Sarah Westlake.   Going back to tree now to have a look.  S
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline ToadyRonthrop

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
My husbands great grandfather was Jacob Lane b.1866, he was a master mariner and lived in South Shields.  He died in 1907 from Tuberculosis.  He was sent to a reformatory school in Gloucester at the age of about 15  and during this time he stole a carriage rug.  Somehow he moved to Glasgow and then to Liverpool and became a merchant seaman, the moving to South Shields when he married Jane Henderson.  He was the second mate during the sinking of the Atbara on Haisborough Sands in 1907, but he survived. On Jacob's marriage certificate, his father is noted as Thomas Lane, but the records show Thomas used the name John Thomas Westlake Lane alternating between John and Thomas.  The family has a  history of smuggling in the Beer area.  John Thomas  married Mary Jane Copp in 1859.  There's also a suggestion that at some point my Jacob Lane spent some time in the Union Workhouse around 1874, but there are no other family members recorded.

I have John Thomas Westlake Lane's  father as Jacob Lane and mother as Sarah Westlake, but Jacob may also have married Caroline Clarke and Ann Collier.

Jacob's father was also Jacob who married Mary Baston, but he also appears to have been 'married' more than once.  In 1823, he was incarcerated in Dorchester prison for smuggling for on year unless he paid the sum of £100 - there is also some link that Issac Lane (one of the sons) was connected with a famous smuggler in the area 'John Rattenbury' his diaries are available on line.  Both Jacob Lanes had large families, 10 and 11 children so there will be plenty for you to research!!   There are some useful parish records you can search, I will need to have a look for the link, so I'll get back to you.

Hope this helps.

p.s   To date, I too haven't found the death record for John Thomas Westlake.