Author Topic: Triple bigamist or what?  (Read 5099 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Triple bigamist or what?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 October 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Jacob the father may have died in 1844

Jacob LANE death Sept. Qtr. 1844 Axminster. Vol. 10  page 8

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Jacob was 65 ( ages usually rounded down to the nearest multible of 5) giving him a birthdate of abt. 1776

There is this baptism:

Jacob Lane bp. 7 July 1776 Seaton and Beer. Parents: John Lane and Susannah.

His first marriage could be this:

10 October 1797 to Elizabeth Cooke Finnemore in Seaton and Beer.

Children of Jacob and Elizabeth

Mary bp. 25 Jan 1807.       Susanna bp. 11 May 1800       Elizabeth bp. 15 Jul 1804
Mary Ann bp.  23 May 1802       

2nd marriage  to Mary Buston 24 December 1812 in Seaton and Beer.

Children of Jacob and Mary:

Sarah bp.    22 Dec 1816    Jane  bp. 19 Mar 1815     Francis bp. 2 May 1819
Caroline bp. 18 Mar 1821    Jacob  bp.  2 Jan 1814    John Richard  bp. 8 Apr 1827 died 31 Oct. 1830     Ann bp. 6 Feb 1825.

Third marriage to Sarah Westlake, which you have.

Hope this helps

claire

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much - this looks very interesting and most helpful.

I had found the marriage with Mary Buston, but thought he was a different Jacob, ie a different generation.

I can see I'm going to have to sit down calmly and sort this out with a very large piece of paper!

Thanks again for all your time and trouble.  Regards, Siobhan
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
While I'm at it - I've just found an Oct/Dec 1872 marriage for Jacob Lane and Caroline Clarke in Axminster.

As Jacob and Caroline only appear in the census in 1881 and 1891, showing him as born c 1814, and they don't have any children with them, I'm wondering if this is a later marriage for the Jacob bp on 2.1.1814, whom I believed to have been the husband of Sarah Westlake.

I must admit that as there was a Jacob Lane who married Mary Buston on 24.12.1812, they were his parents.

Am I making any sense?

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
I meant to say 'I thought' they were his parents.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
It is very confusing  ::)

But, yes it looks like the marriage of Jacob's son Jacob.

He is seen throughout the census's with wife ' Ann ' in Seaton and Beer with no children. So is unlikely to be John Thomas's father.

Looks like his first marriage Sept. Qtr. 1846 to Ann Collier

claire

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 October 13 17:20 BST (UK) »
You know, I was looking for ages for the parents of John Thomas Westlake Lane, absolutely ages.    And when I found them, and saw that he had a mother called Westlake and a father with the same name as his own son, ie Jacob, I was delighted, because I knew I had the right ones.     I've cracked it, I thought!

I'm beginning to revise my opinion!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 October 13 18:40 BST (UK) »
Just a note about the fate of the marriage -- since Mary Jane's youngest child in 1871 is named for her husband Thomas's father Jacob, I would think that she and Thomas were not estranged and the children were all his.

Most likely he was a fisher or mariner. Note that on the 1871 census page and the surrounding pages, several neighbours are identified as fisherman, and the wives and daughters in the households are almost all lacemakers like Mary Jane and Sarah Jane.

On the page after the one where they appear, there are two households (Good and Northcott) where the women are identified as "wife" and "married" -- one then identified as "wife of master mariner" -- but there is no husband present. This was very common on census nights in fishing/seafaring communities.

(And unfortunately, Ancestry's stupid system too often -- especially in the 1891 census -- results in the women and children in question being called "wife" of the nearest preceding male head of household and assigned his surname in Ancestry's transcription, making it impossible to find them in the records there.)

Also just a note on the FreeBMD transcription confusion -- when you click on the page number for each of those entries, you can see that ... rats, each one of them has a spare person! Often you can tell where the error lies (it can be very difficult for transcribers to make out numbers and letters on the images of the index pages -- you can try that one yourself), because the person is the odd one out on the incorrect page. You have the bad luck that there are errors in each list -- Lane is obviously the mistaken one in two of the lists, but there is also a mistake in the one where he actually belongs, so it's harder to identify the right one.

On page 25, the other four names are in bold print:
"When an entry is in bold text it means that two transcribers have independently transcribed it. This is called double keying and is done to help improve the accuracy of the entries."
The Lane entry is the one not in bold print, making him the apparent odd one out on page 25.

Aha. A good coincidence. Emma Davey appears in the list on page 28 along with Copp and Lane -- and also appears in the list on page 38, where a user has noted that she married Commins in that same list. So she is the odd one out on page 28, leaving two matched pairs, one being your Copp and Lane.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 October 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
this article may be one to dig out to follow up your family history - I haven't got a sub to British Newspapers online, but a free search brings up this snippet

TAUNTON
“... fisherman, Jacob Lane who has brought up a large family, and is now in his 64th year, had the misfortune to lose his trawl off the rocks at Sidmouth, the 18th Dec. ... ”

Wednesday 23 January 1839 ,  Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser

And some on the later generation, which may explain the reform school!

DISTRICT NEWS
“... Jacob Lane, a boy 12 years age, late inmate of the Union Workhouse, was charged with being refractory that institution the 24th till. Ordered to be sent the ... ”

Friday 14 September 1877 ,  Western Times , 

“... Jacob Lane, 14, of Beer, was brought remand by P.C. Frost, charged with stealing a carriage rug, valued at 2s 6d, the property of Mrs. Hancock, of Seaton, on ... ”

Thursday 23 September 1880 ,  Western Times ,