Author Topic: Rowland HILL b. Herefordshire 1812-1816  (Read 2107 times)

Offline sp011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rowland HILL b. Herefordshire 1812-1816
« on: Sunday 27 October 13 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm really struggling with my great great grandfather's birth/baptism.  In the censuses his birthplace is listed as 1841 (not Gloucestershire), 1851 (Brinwin = Bryngwyn?), 1861 (Skenfrith), 1871 (Herefordshire), 1881 (Folley, Herefordshire).

I have looked at the online records for Bryngwyn and Skenfrith and he is not included in them, so I believe he must have been born in Herefordshire, but cannot pin down where.   Could it be Fawley or Foy? 

I am not certain, but I believe his parents were William HILL & Elizabeth BENNET - married in Llangarren in 1798.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where else I could look to find his baptism and confirm his parentage?

Many thanks
Simon in NZ

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland HILL b. Herefordshire 1812-1816
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage certificate. If so does it give any information on his father and who are the witnesses.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sp011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosie

Unfortunately he was married on 25 June 1837 - 5 days before the marriage certificate system started.   Perhaps I could try to order one from GRO in case it was included in the records, but its not on FreeBMD, so I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Simon

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 October 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
That was inconsiderate of him  ;D    I very much doubt it would appear on the GRO records.  The parish register should show witnesses though, someone may be able to do a look up if you know where he was married.

What makes you think his parents are William Hill & Elizabeth Bennett

ADDED  ok witnesses are Morgan James who witnesses other marriages and A E Jones so not a lot of help

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sp011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 October 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Rowland Hill m. Elizabeth Brown (names from my Great grandfather birth certificate) in Llanvihangel Pont-y-moel in Monmouthshire June 1837 (Family Search does not list the witnesses and I can't find them anywhere else).   Strange because they both lived in St Arvans, 10 miles away. Also strange because at George Brown's (Elizabeth's brother) wedding in August 1837 the witnesses were Rowland Hill & Elizabeth Brown (not Elizabeth Hill and there are no other Elizabeth Brown relatives).

Evidence for William & Elizabeth being Rowland's parents is circumstantial:
1. William & Elizabeth Hill had a son James b.1812 in Skenfrith and a son Timothy b.1816 Bryngwyn - two of the places Rowland lists as his birthplace.  And more children before and after these.
2. In census 1841 William & Elizabeth are living at Little Porthcasseg Farm in St Arvans, they die in 1847 & 1850.  In census 1851, Rowland Hill is living at Little Porthcasseg Farm as a farmer of 60 acres.  Prior to that he had only been a farm labourer.
3. Rowland is a witness at James's wedding in 1838
4. In census 1891, James is living next door to the pub run after Rowland's death in 1884 by Rowland's daughters in Tidenham, Glos.
5. There aren't many Hills in that area at that time and they all appear to be related.

I would be amazed if all of these were coincidence, but only Rowland's baptism can really confirm his parents.

Thanks for your thoughts on my knotty little challenge.
Regards
Simon