Author Topic: Requesting Look Up in Scotland for John and Jessie Mitchell (living in West Ham)  (Read 1424 times)

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
Can anybody assist me with a look up in Scotland?

I have a John Mitchell (b. abt 1843 in Forfarshire, Scotland – before 1901)
married (no date) to Jessie ??? (b. abt 1844 in Montrose, Scotland).
She is shown as a Sailor's Wife in 1881 living at 11 Gibson Place, Montrose, Scotland.

I have found 4 children (but think there maybe more)
Agnes Mitchell (abt 1869 in Montrose, Scotland)
John Mitchell (abt 1871 in Montrose, Forfarshire)
David Mitchell (abt 1874 in Montrose, Forfarshire)
William Mitchell (abt 1879 in Montrose, Scotland)

They seem to move to West Ham, Essex, as in 1891, John is a Shipwright and they are living at 12 Clarence Road, West Ham. They stay at this address and in 1901, Jessie is now a widow. By 1911 she has moved to 32 Clifton Road, Canning Town, West Ham.

There grandchildren are also resident with them during this time (I cannot find their parents ?):
John Brick (abt 1887 in Dundee, Scotland), Nellie Brick (abt 1893 in Canning Town, Essex) and Jane or Jennie Brick (abt 1898 in Canning Town, Essex) as well as Nephew - James Brick (abt 1881 in Montrose, Scotland).
Any information on ‘Bricks’

Both daughter Agnes and son William are shown as Photographers (c1900s), but I can find nothing else ?

Any assistance welcome
Regards - Bobfilm
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Look Up in Scotland for John and Jessie Mitchell (living in West Ham)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you look up any of the childrens births on SP it will give you Jessie's maiden name

You can then use SP to find their marriage which will give you both sets of parents names plus mothers maiden names

Use SP to look for a Brick marriage to a Mitchell or alternatively - lookup grandson John's birth reg to get parents names etc

SP is a pay per view website and you have to buy credits to download copies of the certs etc although the index is free to search

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Look Up in Scotland for John and Jessie Mitchell (living in West Ham)
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:46 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 shows daughter as Agnes Mitchell and aged 20 but married.  However - if she was born in 1869 she would be 31 and if married, her surname would not be Mitchell.    Could she be the mother of the Brick children

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the SP index and there is no birth for a John Brick 1885-1890 anywhere in Scotland and no Brick/Mitchell marriage

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 October 13 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Births pre 1875 in Scotland are on familysearch - found the first 3 children's births listed:

Agnes Edward Mitchell  b.22/1/1868 Montrose, Angus dau. of John Mitchell and Jessie Carnegie
John Mitchell b.24/8/1870                  ditto                                   ditto
David Mitchell b.5/8/1874                  ditto                                    ditto

There is just one older child I can see:

Jessie Ann b.1/9/1864 Montrose

John Mitchell married Jessie Carnegie 27/10/1863 Montrose, Angus - as Scottish certificates give more information than English ones, if you purchase some credits for ScotandsPeople you can view the actual certificate and it will include parents full names for both of them.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 October 13 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Think folks might have more luck finding the 'Brick' family if you look for them under the surname of Buick/Buik or Buist. I've just looked at the 1891 on FindMyPast and although transcribed as Brick, it reads to me as Buik.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 October 13 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Had a couple of odd credits left to simply do an index search on SP:   The surname is BUIK.

Agnes Edward Mitchell married a James Buik 1888 St. Andrew, Dundee

John Mitchell Buik born 1888 St. Andrew, Dundee.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 October 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 October 13 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Good find Annette

Here's "Jennie's" birth reg

Births March qtr 1898
Jane Gillet G Buik     West Ham  4a 122