Author Topic: Philp Family, Fife  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Gillytree

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philp Family, Fife
« on: Monday 28 October 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Im new here and I am looking for some help from people who have already traced Philp family in Fife.

I have Thomas Philp b 1836 Kilconqhuar
His parents were John Philp and Maria Mackie married in 1834
John was born in 1811, his parents were John Philp and Janet Law who were married in 1801 in Dunfermline

I cant get any further back than that, where and when was John Philp senior born? does anyone have any information, also where do the Philps orignate from, is it really from Philllips? My mother and grandfather were Philps, and they always said they were French origins for the name?

many thanks

Gilly

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Philp Family, Fife
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 October 13 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Greetings
Surname datebase puts Philps inton the family of Phelps - Phillips which they claim came back with the crusaders. The name philps is very much scotish in the fyfe ares
regards

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 October 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
there have been lots of previous posts about philp / phillip/ phelps on here. use the search button (up top) to browse.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Lindsey1978

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas Philp’s brother Walter b.1844. Their father John Philp was a stonemason and the family lived at Balcaskie lodge near Kilconquhar Fife. Their grandfather was Thomas Philp b. 1775 who married Isabella Scott b. Abt 1788