Author Topic: The Rev Evan Richards in Bangor and Llewelyn  (Read 9757 times)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Rev Evan Richards in Bangor and Llewelyn
« on: Monday 28 October 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The Rev Evan Richards was publicly thanked by Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier for the active part he had taken in the formation of the Grain Growers association He later went to the Welsh colony of Bangor and Llewelyn.
Evan was an Independent Chapel minister from Wales. He was in Canada around 1905 -1914
If anyone has any info on him  i would be very grateful

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Rev Evan Richards in Bangor and Llewelyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the correct man?
Sailing from Glasgow, Scotland on 18 September 1909, destination Montreal, Canada, on board the Grampian
Evan Richards, Missionary, age 24.  His age is shown in the "Scotch" column.
Winnipeg, Manitoba (final destination perhaps?)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Also (different source than above):
Departing Glasgow, Scotland and arriving Quebec on 25 September 1909 on board the Grampian:
Evan Richards, age 24, Single, born Wales, destination Winnipeg, Manitoba, occupation: Evangelist; Presbyterian
Entries directly above Evan:
Harry White, age 28, Single, born England, Missionary, Church of England
George W. Jones, age 25, Single, born Wales, Evangelist (cannot read his religious denomination, perhaps Protestant?)
Both going to Winnipeg
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 02:15 GMT (UK) »
He was in Canada around 1905 -1914

There is a Canadian incoming passenger list which has Evan Richards, 45, clergyman arriving in Vancouver, British Columbia on the Aorangi on either 31 Jan or 1 Feb 1929 (there are two identical passenger lists but with the different dates). It indicates he was in Canada between 1909 and 1911 in Bangor, Saskatchewan. He is listed as being a widower and his destination was England via New York. It appears he may have stayed in the US rather than going to England however.

There is a border crossing document for a Rev Evan Richards, 45, who crossed the border into Canada on 1 Oct 1930. His last address was listed as Miners Mills, Pennsylvania and he was destined to a church in Hamilton, Ontario. He is listed as a widower. There is an entry in the 1930 US census for Evan Richards in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania who was a being a 44 year old clergyman born in Wales (parents born in Wales) who emigrated to the US in 1929. He is listed with a wife named Gladys who was 31 and born in England. Her age at the time of her first marriage was 31 so it appears they hadn't been married long at the time the census was taken. I'm trying to find whether Gladys after that since he did, as I mentioned already, list himself as a widower a few months later.

There is an US immigration information sheet for a Rev Evan Richards, 61, who flew to New York from London arriving 6 Oct 1946 which indicates he was destined to a church in Gilby, North Dakota. I also found a newspaper mention of his being in Gilby in 1944 as well as two border crossing documents dated 2 Sep 1948 and 5 Sep 1952 which had him returning to Gilby. The one from 1948 had his marital status listed as divorced so that may explain what happened to Gladys.

There is an incoming UK passenger list which has Evan Richards, born 8 May 1885 arriving on the Queen Elizabeth which had departed from New York and arrived in Southampton on 6 Aug 1956. He is listed as being a priest and his address in the UK was Terherberty. It also said he intended on staying in Wales indefinitely.

I have also found some references to Rev Evan Richards being in Saskatchewan in the mid- to late 1930s officiating at weddings and funerals as well.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
To Lisa and Jacquie
What can  I say .Your help has left me knocked out. You both have the right man.
If it's not too much trouble after all you've done for me can you please let me have the sources to add to my research  . Jacquie I can't believe it Treherbert is only about 10 miles as the crow flies from me !!!! I wonder if that's where he ended up, But that's my part of the world !

Regards and many thanks to you both for all your help
Mike

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike:

The source for the 25 Sep 1909 arrival was the Canadian Passenger Lists, Roll T-4763
18 Sep 1909 departure was from the UK Outward Passenger Lists, Official No. 184230

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Many thanks for your help ,your very kind.

Regards

Mike

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 16:17 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, Mike.

One of the sources that Jacquie may have used is:
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/index.html
They have directories, newspapers, images, etc.

I will get image information for Jacquie's posting.

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks again, Maybe one day I can help you.

I'm in South Wales

Regards

Mike