Author Topic: Callaghan/O'Callaghan and RCMP  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Callaghan/O'Callaghan and RCMP
« on: Thursday 16 June 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
I know that this is a long shot, but I hope someone can help.  I have only very little information.  It seems that my Great-Garndfather's brother joined the RCMP, but no-one in the family knows any details at all and have never had any contact with that side of the family.  My Great-Grandfather was born in Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland in 1861, so I reckon any brothers would have been born in either the 1850s or 1860s.  The father of the ancestor who joined the RCMP, my Great-Great-Grandfather, was John (either Callaghan or O'Callaghan- they seemed to always fluctuate between the two) and he was a mason in Fermoy.  I wonder how one could get info from the RCMP records?  Or, is there anyone out there who might be researching the family from the point of view of another line?  While there is virtually no info in the family as to who this guy was, no name, no information at all, there is this persistent piece of info about his existence which comes up and I know that a photograph of this man, mounted on a horse and carrying a rifle was in existence at least up until the 1950s. Please help if you can.

Ceallachain

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Callaghan/O'Callaghan and RCMP
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 05 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Ceallachain:

If you are looking for information on the RCMP you could try writing to the RCMP Museum in Regina, Saskatchewan.   I wrote there and got the information I needed. Sorry I don;t have the mailing list but I think they have a site on the internet. So just do a google search for RCMP Museum and you should be able to come up with something. Depending what time frame he joined up he could have been in the Northwest Mounted Police that was what they were called before the became the RCMP.

Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 05 06:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  That is enormously helpful!  I will contact them today!

Ceallachain

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 05 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

here are some possibilities to consider

from the 1891 Census for Lethbridge, Alberta
Callaghan, J NWMP 26 Ireland 84 
The RCMP were the NorthWest Mounted Police at that time (NWMP)

from the 1901 Canadian Census

CALLAGHAN, John  police  Age: 37  Born: 0  Birth Place: Ireland 
District: 204  Sub-District: Regina (North)  Sub-District #: e(2)  Map Ref: P-10  Film Number: T-6553 
Page: 12  Line: 41  View District Map      View NAC Microfilm

here is a link to the actual census page - not much more on it
http://data6.archives.ca/exec/getSID.pl?f=z004/z000182215&cat=z&dbk=20096&p=0&l=e&t=na01

These are likley the same person - a lot of NWMP officers moved around.

At the moment I can't find anymore but will keep looking around

Good luck

Thelma

Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 05 00:16 BST (UK) »
A thousand thanks to all who have replied so far.  Thelma, I can't wait to get going on the info you have sent.  Will dig into it in the next few hours.  Will keep you posted

Ceallachain

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 05 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there

you may have already tracked this down but just in case
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02010502_e.html

18 Reference: RG18 , Royal Canadian Mounted Police , Series G , Volume 3361
File : 1557 , Access code: 90 
 File Title:  CALLAGHAN, JOHN 
 Keywords:  CALLAGHAN JOHN 
 Finding Aid number:  18-25 

~~~~~~~~

19 Reference: RG18 , Royal Canadian Mounted Police , Series G , Volume 3380
File : 2214 , Access code: 90 
 File Title:  CALLAGHAN, JOHN 
 Keywords:  CALLAGHAN JOHN 
 Finding Aid number:  18-25 

Good luck

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 June 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thelma,

I cannot thank you enough for this!  That John Callaghan looks very promising- if he was 26yrs old in 1891, then he fits right into the timescale, being born in 1865, four years after his brother Peter, whose line I have ben following and to which I belong myself.  If I can find out where he was born in Ireland (which, presumably might be in his RCMP records, I hope- or on some other document), then this might certainly be the one!  When I was growing up, my Grand-father mantioned this member of the family in the RCMP, or, as you say, the NWMP, but it was only the other day, after many yaers, that I was reminded of him when my father mentioned him just out of the blue, presumably because I am doing a lot of work on family history at the mo.  If I could find this guy definitively, it would open up a line from our great-great-grandfather which no-one in the family knew even existed, or which at least had been lost in the mists of time!

Many, many thanks,

Ceallachain