Author Topic: Second Opinion needed  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Second Opinion needed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 November 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie

That's even more encouraging as his birth date, i.e. day and month, were the same.

Thanks Mo

Offline Fiona12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 May 21 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this is a very old post but I wondered if you have since found any
further informationn on Christopher Holburn's mother?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Welcome to RootsChat ;)

Mofamily was online just a few days ago so should pick up on your reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Welcome to Rootschat.  Sorry I didn't pick up your message earlier.  OH too quick on the delete e-mails button.  ::)

Anyway.  Are you related to Christopher Holburn?

In answer to your question, I am afraid I am not too sure.  I followed up a couple of possibilities and I have placed them on my "speculative tree".

As you can gather, I concentrated my research in the Hurworth-on-Tees area.  That is because on Christopher's Merchant Navy record it states born in Hurworth.  He was in fact Baptised at St Helens Church in Bishop Auckland which is not too far from Hurworth in the scheme of things.  It said his mother, Elizabeth, was from Morley.  At first I thought it was Yorkshire Morley, but found out that there is a village called Morley just a few miles from St Helens.  However, having looked at Parish records there were no Holburns (or other variations) to be found in any Parish in the area except Hurworth where there were quite a few so it was very positive.

I began looking for an Elizabeth Holburn assuming she was a young girl with an illegitimate child, but no joy.  I did, however, find two Elizabeth's who were "getting on a bit"  ;D.  The first was an Elizabeth Holbourn baptised on 25.10.1789 in Hurworth which would make her 31 when she had him. (the daughter of James and Eleanor - he was a Weaver, which I felt was relevant as Christopher's wife's father was a Woolcomer from Darlington so in the same industry).  The second Elizabeth was an Elizabeth Holbron baptised 5.10.1790 (the daughter of a Thomas and Elizabeth - profession not mentioned), which would make her 30 when she had him.

Following on, I found an Elizabeth Holbourn marrying a John Bell on 26.1.1822 in Hurworth.  Two years after Christopher was born.  (don't know which Elizabeth).  Now, John Bell was 49 when he married her and she was 34 and they were named as Spinster and Bachelor, so looked like a marriage on convenience to me (or maybe that's just me).  They had a daughter Susanna and when she was pregnant with their son, John, her husband died aged 55 in 1828.

Then, in the Hurworth records there is a entry for an Elizabeth Bell marrying a William Rate (Rait) in 1830.  They had a daughter called Elizabeth and a son William, but on the Census in 1851 she was named as a Widow working as a Charwoman with her daughter Elizabeth (factory worker) in Clay Row, Darlington.  She died in 1859 Brunswick Street Darlington and her age corresponded with either of the Elizabeth's I began with.

Very convoluted I know, and purely speculative.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.  Let me know how you are related.

Mo

Offline Fiona12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 June 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,
Thank you for getting back to me.
It is a bit complicated, but I THINK I may be related to the family..

It is a long story, but I have a group of paternal DNA matches who all connect to eachother on Christopher Holburn and his wife. (My family is predominantly from the northeast of England and these DNA matches don't have any other connections to the area).

I took an interest in Christopher as he was living in Sunderland in the 1880s around the same time my great grandfather was born.
My great grandfather (Joseph Brown b 1888) was supposedly a foundling adopted by a local shipwright in Sunderland. Through DNA I found his biological father (Joseph Blumer, son of another ship building family) but his mother remains a mystery. I believe she was likely a servant to the Blumer family and I wanted to learn more about Christopher's mother to see if she may have had any daughters or nieces with connections to Sunderland.

I appreciate you sharing all of this information with me,

Fiona

Offline Fiona12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 June 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to add to my last reply, I also have a DNA match to a lady who is a direct descendant of the parents of the Elizabeth b 1790 in Hurworth (parents Thomas and Elizabeth).

Thanks again  :)

Hi Fiona

Welcome to Rootschat.  Sorry I didn't pick up your message earlier.  OH too quick on the delete e-mails button.  ::)

Anyway.  Are you related to Christopher Holburn?

In answer to your question, I am afraid I am not too sure.  I followed up a couple of possibilities and I have placed them on my "speculative tree".

As you can gather, I concentrated my research in the Hurworth-on-Tees area.  That is because on Christopher's Merchant Navy record it states born in Hurworth.  He was in fact Baptised at St Helens Church in Bishop Auckland which is not too far from Hurworth in the scheme of things.  It said his mother, Elizabeth, was from Morley.  At first I thought it was Yorkshire Morley, but found out that there is a village called Morley just a few miles from St Helens.  However, having looked at Parish records there were no Holburns (or other variations) to be found in any Parish in the area except Hurworth where there were quite a few so it was very positive.

I began looking for an Elizabeth Holburn assuming she was a young girl with an illegitimate child, but no joy.  I did, however, find two Elizabeth's who were "getting on a bit"  ;D.  The first was an Elizabeth Holbourn baptised on 25.10.1789 in Hurworth which would make her 31 when she had him. (the daughter of James and Eleanor - he was a Weaver, which I felt was relevant as Christopher's wife's father was a Woolcomer from Darlington so in the same industry).  The second Elizabeth was an Elizabeth Holbron baptised 5.10.1790 (the daughter of a Thomas and Elizabeth - profession not mentioned), which would make her 30 when she had him.

Following on, I found an Elizabeth Holbourn marrying a John Bell on 26.1.1822 in Hurworth.  Two years after Christopher was born.  (don't know which Elizabeth).  Now, John Bell was 49 when he married her and she was 34 and they were named as Spinster and Bachelor, so looked like a marriage on convenience to me (or maybe that's just me).  They had a daughter Susanna and when she was pregnant with their son, John, her husband died aged 55 in 1828.

Then, in the Hurworth records there is a entry for an Elizabeth Bell marrying a William Rate (Rait) in 1830.  They had a daughter called Elizabeth and a son William, but on the Census in 1851 she was named as a Widow working as a Charwoman with her daughter Elizabeth (factory worker) in Clay Row, Darlington.  She died in 1859 Brunswick Street Darlington and her age corresponded with either of the Elizabeth's I began with.

Very convoluted I know, and purely speculative.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.  Let me know how you are related.

Mo

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 June 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona.
Very interesting. Need to do more digging. I haven't done a DNA profile, but my cousin has, so will discuss it with her. Curiouser and curiouser. 🤔.
Mo